Inverness, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We're new to pools and new to central FL. We want to use the pool in the cooler months, so we are heater shopping. Natural gas is not an option. The existing Hayward HeatPro electric heat pump took about 24 hours to move the thermometer from 70 to 86 with ambient in the high 70's daytime and nighttime of 50's. It basically runs nonstop just to maintain this. Is there a better solution? The pool is figure-8 shaped so a cover seems troublesome. I am planning to install LP for a new generator, so I will have LP if that helps. TIA for the suggestions.

We're new to pools and new to central FL. We want to use the pool in the cooler months, so we are heater shopping. Natural gas is not an option. The existing Hayward HeatPro electric heat pump took about 24 hours to move the thermometer from 70 to 86 with ambient in the high 70's daytime and nighttime of 50's. It basically runs nonstop just to maintain this. Is there a better solution? The pool is figure-8 shaped so a cover seems troublesome. I am planning to install LP for a new generator, so I will have LP if that helps. TIA for the suggestions.
An LP-fueled heater will cost 1gal/hr +/- for each 100k btu rating. You want at least a 300-400k btu rated heater to get that much water to reach temperature in a reasonable time, so 3-4 gallons per hour.
You will need a gas line of up to 1.5" depending on how far the tanks are from the heater. 16 degrees in 24 hours isn't bad. You need to run a gas heater continuously until you get the pool as warm as needed, the same as a heat pump.

Seriously consider a solar cover and maybe a cover roller.
You are losing a lot of heat overnight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.