Need help changing my pool light fixture

drewsg

Apr 16, 2018
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I'm trying to get this done while my pool is drained during a remodel. I cut off the wires at the junction box and unscrewed the clamp, but the pool light cable is still ridiculously stubborn. From the niche side, I can only push and pull it a few inches before it gets stuck.

Here's how it looks from inside the niche.

Do I need to dig out more of this silicon? or is there something else holding it

I'm trying to get this done while my pool is drained during a remodel. I cut off the wires at the junction box and unscrewed the clamp, but the pool light cable is still ridiculously stubborn. From the niche side, I can only push and pull it a few inches before it gets stuck.

Here's how it looks from inside the niche.

Do I need to dig out more of this silicon? or is there something else holding it
It looks very much like that is either plaster or epoxy blocking the hole. It should be removed as much as possible. Also, if the light and bond wire were pulled together they can get wrapped together and the cord won't pull. You may have to disconnect both the bond wire and light cord at the j-box and pull both into the pool. Don't disconnect the bond at the niche, you would probably break the lug. Then, pull the bond wire first back to the j-box. Since the pool is drained, you can try running some dish washing soap (like Dawn) into the conduit from the j-box as a lubricant.

It looks very much like that is either plaster or epoxy blocking the hole. It should be removed as much as possible. Also, if the light and bond wire were pulled together they can get wrapped together and the cord won't pull. You may have to disconnect both the bond wire and light cord at the j-box and pull both into the pool. Don't disconnect the bond at the niche, you would probably break the lug. Then, pull the bond wire first back to the j-box. Since the pool is drained, you can try running some dish washing soap (like Dawn) into the conduit from the j-box as a lubricant.

Thanks for the tidbit. I decided to try my luck with the spa since the pool was giving me fits. I threw some dish soap down the conduit and was able to get the new wire through with a lot of elbow grease. So I know I'm not a complete idiot and maybe it is something specifically with the pool.

Thanks for the tidbit. I decided to try my luck with the spa since the pool was giving me fits. I threw some dish soap down the conduit and was able to get the new wire through with a lot of elbow grease. So I know I'm not a complete idiot and maybe it is something specifically with the pool.

Not just your pool. About 20 years ago there was a builder in town that regularly epoxied the conduit opening in the lights they installed because they had so many that leaked. Made it extremely hard to pull a new light. If I knew they were the builder I would turn the job down. There is a better, reusable, way to seal a light conduit but everyone has epoxy on their truck. Poor workmanship = gone builder.

Not just your pool. About 20 years ago there was a builder in town that regularly epoxied the conduit opening in the lights they installed because they had so many that leaked. Made it extremely hard to pull a new light. If I knew they were the builder I would turn the job down. There is a better, reusable, way to seal a light conduit but everyone has epoxy on their truck. Poor workmanship = gone builder.

What's the best way to seal the light conduit?

Ok now I really need help from you guys. I was doing the pool light fixture and was making headway but the taping holding the old and new wire broke off about 3/4 of the way.

Any recommendations on how to get the new wire through?

the old and new wire broke off about 3/4 of the way.
Did the neighbors hear you yell? :brickwall: Mine would've. :evil:

I was thinking of taping the bonding wire to the new wire and pulling the bonding wire from the conduit..
So now the old wire is of no help now and the only thing remaining in the conduit is the bond wire correct? Like @1poolman1 noted above, you might try disconnecting the bond wire at the J-box and attaching/pulling new wire "into" the pool. That may be your best option at the moment unless PM has another idea when gets back online.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got the light wire through the conduit..
Outstanding! Dodged a bullet there.

before I pull the bond wire back.. Is this okay or should I replace it? Some of the insulation is stripped near the top.
I don't see why that would be a deal breaker, but I'd prefer to let PM confirm when he gets back online since he was coaching you through this issue. As he said earlier, you probably don't want to mess with the lug end anyways, so this may have to do. But let's give him some time to respond if possible. If you can't wait, let me know and I can tag another expert or two.

Thanks to a $10 electrician's fish tape, this day wasn't such a disaster.

I got the light wire through the conduit.. before I pull the bond wire back.. Is this okay or should I replace it? Some of the insulation is stripped near the top.

Its better if the wire is insulated, makes pulling easier and bare wire will corrode in the pool water that is in the conduit. That's why the bond lug in the niche should be encapsulated. If the portion that is stripped won't be in water it shouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Its better if the wire is insulated, makes pulling easier and bare wire will corrode in the pool water that is in the conduit. That's why the bond lug in the niche should be encapsulated. If the portion that is stripped won't be in water it shouldn't be an issue.

Is this what you're talking about? Mix this together and smother the bond lug in the niche? Is there something like it I can get from HD or Lowes?

full

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.