Need help adjusting the numbers.

asliboogie

Jul 20, 2020
Fremont/California
Hi all,
As of last night my numbers are;
FC 5 (added 3 cups Cholorine to take it to 9)
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 170
CH 160
CYA 55
Pool math says I need to lower my TA and to do it, I need to reduce pH to 7.0-7.2 with acid, then aerate to increase PH.
I purchased Muriatic Acid but when I get into the math, 20º is not in the options.
I would appreciate if you can guide me what I should do?

Thank you. Just added 16 oz 31.45% MA and opened the pool’s cover and the filter is running. Sorry if it is a stupid question but it bubbled yellow when I poured it into my measuring cup, I guess there was Chlorine residual. I immediately rinsed it in the pool and then added the rest but it burned my nose. Should I be worried?

You have to be extremely careful not to mix acid with bleach. And definitely make sure they are not stored together. You got lucky there wasn't more bleach in the cup.
Always rinse the measuring containers in pool water. Even if you don't plan to use it for different chemicals.

Your numbers look pretty good. Usually TA is the last thing to worry about, and it only requires adjusting if it is way off (yours is not really that bad) or if it is constantly bringing up your pH. I would just live with your high TA and see if you bring it down over time when you adjust your pH down.

You have to be extremely careful not to mix acid with bleach. And definitely make sure they are not stored together. You got lucky there wasn't more bleach in the cup.
Always rinse the measuring containers in pool water. Even if you don't plan to use it for different chemicals.
I always rinse the cup at the end every day, I don’t know what happened and it was my first time with MA. I got pretty scared when my nose burned.

I don’t measure muriatic acid when I add it, I just put the jug in the water and pour very slowly over a return, eyeballing the right amount. It’s not exact, but you don’t have to be. I also don’t breathe in when pouring or when eyeballing into to the jug to check the level. Stay upwind as best you can when pouring as well. The point of adding directly to the pool is to avoid double-handling and doubling your chances of a spill.

Reactions: asliboogie
You added them yesterday, correct ? Chlorine needs to be added daily. Your TA is high so pH rising quickly is typical. The amount of acid added did not drop TA that much so it was within the resolution of the test method.

Your pH is fine, as long as it is in the 7's and I would not worry about your TA. You will save yourself a lot of heartache if you leave your pH alone until it gets to 8.0, then knock it down to the mid 7's. It doesnt want to be at the low 7's so if you try to keep it there, it will be a fight.

The more important thing to worry about is your chlorine. At 3 it is low and at risk of growing algae. Get it back up to 9 or so and keep it in the 7-9 range, which will require daily additions to account for daily loss of 3-4 FC. If it is using more than that daily, you may have some algae that is using up some of the chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your pH is fine, as long as it is in the 7's and I would not worry about your TA. You will save yourself a lot of heartache if you leave your pH alone until it gets to 8.0, then knock it down to the mid 7's. It doesnt want to be at the low 7's so if you try to keep it there, it will be a fight.

The more important thing to worry about is your chlorine. At 3 it is low and at risk of growing algae. Get it back up to 9 or so and keep it in the 7-9 range, which will require daily additions to account for daily loss of 3-4 FC. If it is using more than that daily, you may have some algae that is using up some of the chlorine.
Thank you so much. So, I will leave it alone until pH reaches 8.0. (and is it for sure it will with time?), correct? I add the Chlorine daily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.