Need for cyanuric acid?

Mar 15, 2018
Toano, VA
New pool owner please forgive my ignorance.
I have recently installed and filled my new 24x52 agp. I am lesving it lowered at 30" so my 6 and 4 year old can touch.
I have an intex 3000 gpm sand filter/pump combo and intex salt water generator. I have added salt over the last few days and im right at 3000 ppm.
My instructions call for 3 pounds of cyanuric acic. Using a proportion for 8100 gallons I came to approx 2 pounds. I added about a pound yesterday, but have not tested.
1. How quickly will chlorine burn off? 2.Could I run my gen longer and not add any stabilizer?
3. Would it be feasible, or would I have to run gen nonstop to counteract burn off? 4.Does stabilizer burn off? How quickly? 5.How quickly does chlorine burn off?
6. Either way, how long would I know length of time to run gen each day? Trial and error with a test kit?
7. Does anyone have recommendation for good test kits?
I know its a lot. Thanks for any help.
5. How

I have recently installed and filled my new 24x52 agp. I am lesving it lowered at 30" so my 6 and 4 year old can touch.
I have an intex 3000 gpm sand filter/pump combo and intex salt water generator. I have added salt over the last few days and im right at 3000 ppm.
My instructions call for 3 pounds of cyanuric acic. Using a proportion for 8100 gallons I came to approx 2 pounds. I added about a pound yesterday, but have not tested.
1. How quickly will chlorine burn off? 2.Could I run my gen longer and not add any stabilizer?
3. Would it be feasible, or would I have to run gen nonstop to counteract burn off? 4.Does stabilizer burn off? How quickly? 5.How quickly does chlorine burn off?
6. Either way, how long would I know length of time to run gen each day? Trial and error with a test kit?
5. How

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

First, with the water that low will it still circulate?

A SWCG can not keep up with the chlorine loss from the UV rays of the sun and oxidation of bather waste without CYA. It acts as a "sunscreen" for the chlorine, but it is not a situation where if a little is good a lot is better. Too much CYA and it will inhibit the chlorines ability to oxidize the nasty stuff. Plus, CYA/Stabilizer does not burn off, or at least not quickly.

Order a TF100 test kit.

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

I also have the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

A good starting point for you would be "Pool School". You will see the tab for it at the top of the page right beside where it says "Home".
Go there and do some reading, it will explain the importance of conditioner (CYA).
As far as a good test kit, you will find a link to the ones that we advise in my Signature. With you having a salt water pool, you would be well advised to also get the salt test with your kit.
Your pool's chlorine demand will change as the season progresses, and with bather load, so there really isn't a one size fits all answer to how much you will have to run the SWG. You will have to test, and make adjustments as you go.

Read through "Pool School", and come back if you have any questions... We will be happy to help you out.
:)

5. How

Hello an Welcome to TFP!

If yo only fill 30”, is that enough to cover your suction & returns?

1. Chlorine is always burning off. Due to the sun and bather load, it’s about 2-4ppm per day. Each day you need to replace this chlorine.
2. This is actually opposite of what we recommend. With low or no CYA, your chlorine won’t last long.
3. You would likely have to run the SWG full time and that may not even be enough.
4. You can consider that CYA does not burn off. Once it’s in the water, it stays in the water. The only way to remove it is through water exchanges.
5. See #1
6. We cannot tell you how long to run the SWG. It’s based on how quickly it is produced and how quickly it burns off. You monitor the chlorine with a good test kit and adjust the run time as necessary to make sure you have sufficient chlorine in the water.
7. Good test kits are TF-100 from TFTestkint.net. And Taylor K-2006C. My opinion in that order.

As others have said, read through pool school and ask any and all questions you have.

You didn’t ask this question but I will say that I think you should fill it all the way up to the top and it will force the kids to learn to swim. When I installed my pool my oldest kid could touch and the two younger ones could not. Now the two younger ones are far better swimmers than my oldest They were forced to learn to swim if they want to stray away from parents or the ladder. That desire to be mobile is good motivation. The older one could cheat and hop his way around the pool.

Dave I understand the point about the height. My 6 year old is learning. My 4 year old not yet. They are 42" and 36". I dont think it would be much fun being in a pool over your head all summer, but thats a great idea for later in the season.
Thanks for taking the time to reply

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.