Gold Supporter
Jul 3, 2018
SC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Check valves were removed by the PB shortly after the build to troubleshoot a flow problem. (There may have only been one at the return end pipe.) Even though they were not the culprit, they were never reinstalled. Each morning, when my pump starts, I get a large bubble from the return nearest the pump. It's large enough to push water over on to the deck. I asked my PB at the time and was told this was okay and the check valves weren't necessary since I did not have a heater or SWG. I manually chlorinate. I suspect air backflows through the Ozone relief valve when the pump is off. I plan on a switch to salt when that dies. Should I be concerned about the bubble creating stress on the PVC pipes? Should I install check valves anyway?

I,

The bubbles won't hurt anything.. But, if the water in the pump basket drains back into the pool, then you have a suction side air leak. If this is being caused by your almost useless Ozone system, you should just removed it and plug up any openings...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I,

Except for a check valve that keeps a raised spa from draining down into the pool, a well operating system does not normally need any check valves.. I suspect that an in floor system might need a check valve, but I really have no experience with them...

You said that the PB "removed" the check valves.. If all he did was remove the guts, you could always stick the guts back in and see what happens.. That said, I would rather see the source of the problem fixed, rather then stick in a check valve that hides the problem..

If you post a few pics of your equipment pad, you will probably get some better answers.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Other uses for check valves are with solar between the solar valve and filter (also sometimes on the solar return). Plus between a puck chlorinator and heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.