Need advise with closing pool.

Jul 17, 2010
Fredericksburg, VA
Back in September there was a 5.4 earthquake 40 miles away. Couple of days later we had a couple of big storms that dumped 10 inches of water in less then 24 hours. I pumped the water out to normal levels and then shut the pump for 5 days. When I came back, the water was below the skimmer.

Problem # 1 started to pressure test the lines, and was unable to keep presure from the skimmer to the pump.

Problem # 2 plugged the pipes and water in the skimmer whent down.

Problem # 3 when I lowered the water I noticed 3 coopper stains on the steps on my 18 month pebble tech pool.

For the last 2 months I have kept the PH and CL within range. I have been using my aquabot to circulate the water. This weekend I am planning to put the looplock cover.

My questions are: Should I add sequestring agent to the water? What should I do for the 3 cooper stains on the steps (some of the stain is bellow water and some above)? Since the pump is not running, Should I add anthing else? What should I use on the skimmer to seal it? Without digging out the pipes, How to find the leak?

Any commdents would be appreciated.

If the skimmer was plugged and the water went down in the skimmer body, the skimmer body likely has a crack. Refill the skimmer and either buy a dye syringe or gently use some food coloring near any likely looking points.

Trichlor puck on the copper stains. Add the sequesterant. Test for copper. Post full chems.

A $10 stethoscope taped to a styrofoam or paper cup taped to a 4' piece of 2" pipe. Plug the skimmer with a winter plug that has a air valve on it. Close the skimmer at the pad. Pressurize the line with a compressor to about 10 PSI and listen with the scope to home in on the hissing air. Dig.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.