Need advise/ recommendations on pool filter

Saltysailors

Jul 26, 2022
Lake Spring, Missouri
We are first time pool owners and lookng for recommendations for replacement filter. Currently we have a Sta Rite s7m120 that froze last winter due to our own failure to winterize in time ( very expensive lesson) Both top and bottom tanks are cracked. Should we stay with what we have and just replace wth same or is there something better/easier/more efficient less expensive we should be looking at?

Welcome to the forum.
You will find the cartridges for that filter are quite expensive. Not a big deal as they should last many, many years. But a factor.
All cartridge filters are essentially the same.
Your current filter is ~300 sq ft. So get one at least that size. Or bigger.
If you do not get the same model, you will have to do plumbing modifications.
Is this a DIY project?

Salt does not effect filter type.

If cost is a concern, Waterway may be an option. But it will take a replumb.

Cartridge filters are cartridge filters. How the tank is constructed is about the only difference. The Pentair CC Plus is great. It will take a replumb. The replacement cartridges will cost about a third of what the Sta Rite cartridges cost.

Sta Rite is owned by Pentair.

We say bigger is always better. You do not have a signature so we do not know what volume type, etc your pool is to provide specific guidance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm working on that! I don't know that information yet. I know that it is a fiberglass inground pool with a 1hp pump
If you have a single speed pump, perhaps consider a new filter and VSP pump. A bit more plumbing to redo but will save you $$$ in the long run.

I had a family situation and couldn't get the pictures taken yet of current set-up. I am hoping to try again soon. My current, but broken filter is cartridge. It's a starite s7m120 and I was hoping to get a replacement for it. However, I am having trouble with suppliers regarding getting a new filter the same as I have. But, I have the opportunity to get a DE Filter that is 48 Sq ft. Will that handle the same size pool? The pool is inground fiberglass 16 x 38 . I have no idea how deep because it's too dirty to get in and check...it's like the world's worst pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.