Need advice on VS pool pump - 1.5hp pump died

Tracey R

Jun 14, 2019
Boerne TX
I haven't ever liked having a single speed pump on my pool however until last year I hadn't found y'all wonderful people.

I noticed my pool wasn't circulating this morning with my coffee. I saw my timer dammits were a little different, adjusted them and walked away. Went back out this afternoon when it should be on and ....Nope. Went down to check the breakers, all good but the GFI did it's job when the pump died.

So, now to buy and install a new pump although I have little clue as to what I should get.
Can y'all provide any advice for me?

PS - LOVE my SWG!!

Do you want to replace the entire pump or just the motor? Is your current motor 120 or 240v? What is the THP of your motor -- what is the SF?
Lots of options out there.

Picture is too small to read.

Makes a big difference if you have 240V service at the pump.

SF is used to multiply with the HP to get THP.

SF stands for Service Factor. Your motor does not have a stamped HP or SF, but the tag shows 1.5 SPL, that is split phase.

The only VS pump I know that you can use for 120V is the Pentair Superflo VS. It can be wired 120 or 240v. But it is a complete pump system. Cost is ~$700 plus professional installation if you want a two year warranty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Actually they are not. That is a complete system. To replace the pump will take quite a bit of replumbing.

You might see if you can get a two speed motor for the pump. That may be the best method if a 120V version can be found. Contact InyoPools tomorrow to see what they say.

Are you sure it was not just the motor replaced? You need another Split Phase motor to fit in that spot. I do not think a motor with a start capicator will fit there. And you are limited by only having 120v available.

We can work through the semantics. Now or later you are going to have to make a decision on the entire system. If you replace the motor again, when it goes out after next July, it HAS to be replaced by a VS motor, by Federal Regulation.

For expediency, you are best to replace the motor with a like motor.

You should confirm that the motor is the issue. Check the electrical to the motor, see if the motor will spin, etc.

Tracy, you will still need to check the electric power at the motor to be sure the problem is the motor and not something else. If you can verify the problem is the motor I would call in yo pools as Marty suggests. They can help you select the right variable speed motor. I suspect the century V green 1.65 will work fine. It's a very inexpensive way to get a variable speed pump that will pay for itself in one to 2 years. It also has an internal timer that you can use to control different motor speeds. There are several different models that are designed to be a direct replacement for almost any existing motor. Inio pools will help you get the right number. Sorry for the sloppy typing I have lost use of my right arm for a couple of months.
Chris

@setsailsoon
Chris -- she only has 120V at the pad. Also, look at the pump/filter picture above, I do not see how any motor other than the type she has will work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.