Need advice on stone veneer/ blue board insulation/ and adhesives

joanncook

Apr 27, 2023
Maine
Hello, last summer I installed a 24’ Radiant metric semi inground pool. Currently I am starting to engineer the cladding of the 2’ of the exterior of the pool that is above ground. The pool wall itself measures 2”. I would like to glue 1” blue board insulation around the outside of the pool. Then I would like to glue 3/4” curved Marmox board [which has a cement thinset embedded with fiberglass mesh on the surface]. Then I will cover that surface with Latricrete air and water barrier. Finally I will adhere a thin veneer natural stone with A High bond mortar. This sandwich of materials will amount to a 4.5-5” with room to place a 6” coping to top it off.

my rationale for this - I would like to build out the thickness of the pool wall so that it Is more to scale with the size of the pool. [i.e. 5” vs 2”]

I am using stone veneer because I am a DIYer, working alone, and I can manage the weight of this. I DO NOT want to build a retaining wall around the perimeter of the pool, which would require a footing, and backfill. I live in an area in which the frost line is 4’. By veneering the pool wall, the entire structure is one unit.

My big question is - the outside surface of the pool is an acrylic coated aluminum. I am looking for an adhesive to glue the 1“ blueboard to the outside surface of the pool. One consideration is that both of these materials are non-porous. next, presumably I would use the same adhesive to glue on the Marmox board. Advice on adhesives for this application is much appreciated. 1- it needs to stick to the pool’s surface [with an adhesive that is compatible with the pool surface and the blueboard] and 2- it needs to be strong enough to hold the stone veneer, which is roughly 15#/sf.

another question is - would it be necessary to prime the exterior surface of the pool before gluing anything to it?

thanks very much in advance for advice!

Jo-Ann

Okay so that is what I thought you were saying. I just wanted to make sure.

Right off the bat my biggest worry is gluing anything to your pool wall. If you want/need to take it off you might ruin the wall.

That foam stuff..............is that what they put on houses to insulate them then add the stone veneer? If so then it might hold up to the weight of stone being added to it.

Me? I would get ahold of of some painted steel (no idea where LOL) to play with to see what does and does not stick to it.

Okay so that is what I thought you were saying. I just wanted to make sure.

Right off the bat my biggest worry is gluing anything to your pool wall. If you want/need to take it off you might ruin the wall.

That foam stuff..............is that what they put on houses to insulate them then add the stone veneer? If so then it might hold up to the weight of stone being added to it.

Me? I would get ahold of of some painted steel (no idea where LOL) to play with to see what does and does not stick to it.

Ok so now I am back to the drawing board! The pool manufacturer tells me that if I glue anything to the pool wall, I will be voiding the warranty.

how do folks get a stone veneer on a pool without it touching the pool wall??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.