Need advice on pool light placement

tjk65

Silver Supporter
Jun 14, 2020
Round Rock, Tx
All,

What are your thoughts on the light placements? I feel like the one in the shallow end points right to the ledge and stairs and toward the house. The picture with the two trees is from our elevated patio and there will also be one at ground level. I have attached what I want the ledge and stairs to look like.

Attachments

• IMG_4624.jpg
    IMG_4624.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4625.jpg
    IMG_4625.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4627.jpg
    IMG_4627.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4626.jpg
    IMG_4626.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 33
  • stairs.PNG
    stairs.PNG
    98.5 KB · Views: 31
Did they install the light per the plan layout? Were you putting any lights on the ledge or where you simply trying to cast light from afar? Based on the perspective of the picture taken of the light between the 2 trees it does appear to be pointed directly to the photographer.

In the electrical drawing the light looks to be facing out in to the pool, but the way the curve ended up after dig, putting the light there faces it right into the wall directly across. Seems like we have one light doing 1/4 the pool and the other 3/4 of the pool. If they moved over a couple of feet the bend changes and the light would point into the pool. There is no plan for lights on the ledge.

Attachments

• electrical.JPG
    electrical.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 18
I see what you mean regarding the curvature of the pool. Your electrical diagram indicates each light is controlled separately so that is helpful if you wish only to turn on the one that covers the majority of the pool. If swimming at night and you need light by the steps then you can switch on that second light which shines on the ledge and steps. Suggest you discuss with PB if you can move the light or just ensure you have independent control of each light. The spa is usually on a separate control as well.

I was just concerned that one light would light up the whole pool, so I had them add the second light. Seems if they move two feet over it would still reflect on ledge and into corner by feature wall and out into the pool. The PB says it's fine and doesn't matter that at points right at the patio that it's not like the old lights. But what is the point of a adding the cost of light you have to turn off all the time. I just want adequate light coverage across the pool.

I was just concerned that one light would light up the whole pool, so I had them add the second light. Seems if they move two feet over it would still reflect on ledge and into corner by feature wall and out into the pool. The PB says it's fine and doesn't matter that at points right at the patio that it's not like the old lights. But what is the point of a adding the cost of light you have to turn off all the time. I just want adequate light coverage across the pool.
Now is the time to change it. Move it closer to the ledge to get the effect you want. Even if the PB charges you for extra work, it is a cost now but if you do not do it, you live with the issue forever and will regret it. I would still ensure you have independent control of each light.

Both lights were moved. They are both along the wall across from the feature wall now. One on each each of the curve so should now cover entire pool. It was an easy change for them. Just had to dig a couple of holes to squeeze them in.

Both lights were moved. They are both along the wall across from the feature wall now. One on each each of the curve so should now cover entire pool. It was an easy change for them. Just had to dig a couple of holes to squeeze them in.
great. sounds like you are pleased with the outcome.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.