Need advice on leveling and water runoff

SCrmrct

Jun 23, 2019
South Carolina
Hi
I’m new to above ground pool installation and am looking for advice on leveling and potential water runoff near the pool. The pool is a 16 ft Summer Waves Elite.
We are installing the pool on a slight slope. I made the mistake of not starting my level from the lowest point. I was thinking I could build up the ground at the lowest point and hold the built up ground with landscape timbers. Total build up would be 4 inches. Should I just go ahead and make everything level to the lowest point or will timbers work?

The other question deals with potential water run off. The dug in side is about 8 inches below ground. The water runoff from the high ground comes in from that side. What happens to the runoff water and can it cause issues with the stability of the pool?

Thanks in advance for the help and advice.107940107941

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum:wave:

A 4 inch backfill, while not as good as virgin soil, is doable. The biggest issue will not be compaction but erosion. I would use pressure treated 6x6 lumber and not landscape timbers. That seemingly small 4" "retaining wall" needs to be firmly implanted into the virgin soil.

Not much you can do about the run off from the upper level. You could certainly dig out well past the pool wall and slope all around the edges to divert the water but I am not sure you need to be that thorough for a 4" drop.

Welcome to the forum:wave:

A 4 inch backfill, while not as good as virgin soil, is doable. The biggest issue will not be compaction but erosion. I would use pressure treated 6x6 lumber and not landscape timbers. That seemingly small 4" "retaining wall" needs to be firmly implanted into the virgin soil.

Not much you can do about the run off from the upper level. You could certainly dig out well past the pool wall and slope all around the edges to divert the water but I am not sure you need to be that thorough for a 4" drop.
Thanks much for the great advice. We decided earlier today to go ahead and level to the lowest point of virgin soil. That will leave us with a 9 3/8 inches drop on the high side.
We plan to dig around the pool perimeter by about 8 inches. This should allow the water to go around the pool. With the drop on the high side, do you think we need to build a retaining wall on the high side to ensure the runoff doesn’t give us an issue?
Again, thanks for the help.

do you think we need to build a retaining wall on the high side to ensure the runoff doesn’t give us an issue?
That answer depends a lot on your soil. I would wait and see.

Better yet, if you could slope that 8" area so the water doesn't stand but runs around to the low side, it will stay dry. Rock or decorative gravel will help in that 8" area, too.

Nice work digging down to virgin dirt. Not easy but it's the best.

That answer depends a lot on your soil. I would wait and see.

Better yet, if you could slope that 8" area so the water doesn't stand but runs around to the low side, it will stay dry. Rock or decorative gravel will help in that 8" area, too.

Nice work digging down to virgin dirt. Not easy but it's the best.
Again thanks for the advice. That’s a great idea to slope it down.

Im a dirt guy. Clay likes to swell but relatively stay put depending on silt content. 4" is a lot of slope across such a small pool. I would make level with lowest point. Target +/- 1".

It looks like you have a driveway above the pool. Concrete runoff velocity and coefficient can cause a lot of problems down stream. I would suggest a french drain between driveway and pool. From the looks of pics, it wouldnt be that long either. Basically you want to shed driveway water away/around the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.