Need advice on gas vs. heat pump in Orlando

What I can add is if you ever want to use that spa in cooler temps you are going to need the gas. No way a spa will heat up for you if it's 50 degrees outside. Many people don't think about that. Also if you decide you want to swim in the cooler months you won't get much heat from a HP.

As for propane, if you own the tank you can get a better price on gas. If you lease the tank, then you are stuck buying it from the same company and at whatever price they feel like charging you.

I've been using a solar cover for most of the Summer and then I supplement with the propane heater. It has not been too bad up to this point, but with Fall almost here, I expect to be using a lot more propane. I just had a fillup (last was late April) and it was a bit under $400 with the price still around $5 a gallon. I don't get the tub really hot like I used to. It is about bath water temp (92-95), but it allows me to stretch and relax for about 45 minutes a day. It is a good way to refresh the mind. :)

Got another quote from Ferrellgas, a competitor to AmeriGas, for $2.19/gallon permanently (I already own the tank). This is not their promotional rate. Of course it will fluctuate with the market but it is a "commercial" rate he said. So that is great news. AmeriGas could not give me a straight answer on how much it would cost after their promotional rate ended so I'm switching. Sorry for all the confusion on my earlier posts where I was quoting all kinds of different prices.

I'm still toying with the idea of supplementing the gas heater with either solar or a heat pump. Problem with solar is it does not work when I need it the most, in the winter. And it's still $3,250 to install. The HP could work, but I only have amps for a 85k BTU unit, which is puny. Otherwise I need to spend $1k to get a 50amp pre-wire for the big 125k heater (so $4k total). I can buy a lot of propane for that. We'll see.

Don't know if this helps because I'm in Michigan and have a shaded pool but my natural gas rus anywhere from 150 to 300 a month in"shoulder" seasons with semi judicious use -- but I don't use a cover. My start temp is 60 degrees though ;) if you use a cover and don't have super cool 40 degree nights etc. I'd expect you might use less even if you kept yours higher all the time.

With heat pumps, I do find them noisy as they age in general, but perhaps our office just as an especially nasty one. Hate em, and absolutely hate the sound, so I can relate to your concern. We call ours the "whispermatic"! I can confirm the gas is nice and quiet by comparison, and to date maintenance free -- exact opposite of my experience of heat pumps, and mine at the office is only 8 years old.;)

I am in the Dallas, Tx area, but have similar seasons to FL, though a bit colder ( Dec-Feb no swim), and a lot more temp variance during the should season. I currently have 50% coverage solar system that we built that does a wonderful job WHEN THERE IS SUN. We use a bubble solar cover as well. We have windy conditions here too. The shoulder seasons vary- I started swimming Mar 31 this year, but most years it is more like April 31. This season ended early with solar only because it has been so cloudy starting the beginning of Oct (plus a freak cold front). I would still be swimming now if I had a few degrees heat, so I am looking into a supplemental heater as well. This discussion has been very helpful, but I need to through an extra wrench in. What about places where temps can vary dramatically from day to day (one day high of 60s, two days later it is in the 80s and back again). Thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.