Need advice on burying an aquasport aluminum panel wall pool

mgmercurio

Jun 22, 2020
Louisville, Kentucky
I am burying an aquasport 52 28" inches in the ground and I have two questions...

1. Since it is too cold to put the liner in, can I go ahead and backfill (only the 28") and wait until next spring to drop in the liner?

Two notes to consider for question 1:
A. The pool is buried in hard clay soil so I do not fear any "cave-ins" from the pool being open without a liner, but I would like to hear advice from the experts.
B. Since it is only 28" in the ground (and only 19" in the ground on 1 side - because of the slope of the yard) it will have 24" above ground on one side and 33" exposed on the other side....supporting my reasoning why I don't think it will collapse.

2. When backfilling up against the aluminum wall, is there any fear of corrosion from contact with the soil and if so, what product would you use to coat that outside to prevent corrosion? I read on here somewhere there was a product to spray on that "rubberized" the outside of the walls...but I can't remember the name...I wanna say something like..Blue Max or something similar...

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

My advice is to wait for a warm day & install the liner w/ the pool or wait for the whole thing till spring. Your forecast looks like sunny 70’s + the next 3 or 4 days. That’s plenty warm for a liner install.
I would hate to see u do all that finish dirt work & leveling for it to be ruined by the weather over the winter. Not only that you would probably be best to brace your walls so you don’t have wind damage if you leave it empty & a hole that will fill with water. Seems like a lot of extra work & risk.
Maybe do the majority of the the dirt work now & then pick it back up in spring if you’re not ready.

My advice is to wait for a warm day & install the liner w/ the pool or wait for the whole thing till spring. Your forecast looks like sunny 70’s + the next 3 or 4 days. That’s plenty warm for a liner install.
I would hate to see u do all that finish dirt work & leveling for it to be ruined by the weather over the winter. Not only that you would probably be best to brace your walls so you don’t have wind damage if you leave it empty & a hole that will fill with water. Seems like a lot of extra work & risk.
Maybe do the majority of the the dirt work now & then pick it back up in spring if you’re not ready.
I am a plumber from a different lifetime ;) and back when I was working on large ground work rojects...a lot of times we were worikng in ditches...and sometimes very deep ditches (8 feet or more). In thos cases, we would always use "shoreboxes" to protect us from cave ins that could be fatal. Basically a shorebox is a large metal appuratice constructed to fit inside the ditch which had metal bracing running across the ditch to hold the ditch walls in place. I was actually thinking of constructing a similar mechanisim (only out of 2x4's and plywood to place inside the pool during the winter season. My hope is that it would prevent cave-ins.

As far as doing the majority of the dirt work goes...YES I was thinking the same thing....I could grade and level the ground all the way up to the pool wall except for 12" from the wall...but if I do that, I will have to contend with water in opening. I think I would rather backfill completely up against the wall...create and outside cove to drain the water...build my shore box...and call it a day...or at at least until next spring. Besides...I am planning to build a deck all the around the pool anyway, so I have plenty to keep me busy over the winter. ;)

Finally, I found the waterproofing product I was speaking of....it is called AMES Blue Max WaterProofing Coating. I am considering painting the outside of the aluminum panels with this where the soil makes contact. My intent is to remove the possibility of corrosion.

Thanks for your thoughts and advice! I really appreciate it!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.