Need advice in how to keep a clean pool with no chlorine

Mosca

Jul 1, 2019
Oklahoma
I’m new to the forum and new to using pools.
I have a daughter though that love water, we recently bought a 12x24 vinyl pool. My question is, how to keep it clean clear water? What do you guys recommend to use?
It does has a sand pump and we ware trying to avoid chlorine do to health issues.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to TFP!

Pool water must include a sanitizer to be safe to swim in. The options in the US are chlorine, bromine, and biguanide. Any system that does not keep one of those 3 chemicals present in the pool water at all times is not sanitary. We strongly recommend chlorine as when it is used in the proper proportion to CYA (see the FC/CYA Levels ) it provides a very comfortable and safe swimming environment while also keeping the water crystal clear.

If I may ask, what health issues are swaying you away from chlorine? I will say that most problems associated with chlorine are actually the result of improper chlorination, including too low chlorine which can lead to an increase irritating combined chloromines. If there is an actual problem with chlorine then biguanide (sold under several brand names including Baquacil) is an option, but it takes a lot more effort and money to provide the same level of sanitation and clarity as a properly managed chlorine pool.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!

To add one more additional question, what kind of tap water do you have? If it is municipal, it may have more chlorine in it then would be in a properly a balanced pool.

I hear ya. I want as natural as possible. I went with a salt generator but the generator is still turning the salt into chlorine, it just seems to be a more natural option. I very rarely need to add chlorine/bleach to my pool. The generator does a great job. I didn't want to be dumping bleach in my pool constantly. The real concern is being in a pool that is not sanitized.

The thing is, a pool in and of itself is not natural. We are creating an artificial pond then trying to keep it from setting up a natural cycle, which in our parlance means a green, swampy pool.

Any attempt at sanitization is by its nature not natural. Chlorine is the best sanitizer for your unnatural pond. Being "natural" has to give way before the health of the people using the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.