Need Advice for UV System - FAST!

Papabigface

Jun 30, 2019
Rialto, Ca
Hey guys, this is my first post here. I'll try to make this quick. Basically My pool is being built now. The plumbers will be here in the morning. I may be too late, but we did not opt to have a UV system as a part of the contract. Now both the wife and I feel like it might be a really big benefit to actually have a UV system.

I know almost nothing about any of this, but need to know...should I ask my plumbers to install this for me? Should I run out tomorrow and go pick up a UV system? If so,m what system should I look to get? Whats good, whats no good? Were basically sold on the idea that with a UV system it means less chemical use.

If you have any questions for me I'll try to update, but basically we have an in ground pool going in, shotcrete, will have a pebble finish. Its approx 17,000 gal. so far we have the Chlorinator system that will be inline... Just need to know if adding UV is a good choice? Sorry this is so rushed.

Unless your pool is indoors, you get more than enough UV on your pool from the sun,. Save your money.

pops,

What are you thinking? I can't think of any reason to have a UV system unless you have an indoor pool...

Read this... Alternative sanitizers and "chemical free" pools--The Truth!

Who will profit from your decision to use a UV system???

Thanks,

Jim R.
I'm just new to all of this, sorry If I seem uneducated...I am. Thanks for the fast response though. I look forward to becoming more educated and engaging with the community here. Thanks.

There is really no way to sanitize a pool without chlorine. A chlorinator is not a good idea if it uses tabs...those contain stabilizer which is needed but with tabs the stabilizer level gets too high which makes the chlorine less effective. A liquid chlorinator injects into the return line and is carried to the pool...the only drawback is liquid chlorine still needs to be bought and carried home, stored and emptied into the tank. The easiest solution is a salt water generator which makes its' own chlorine by passing salt water over plates in a cell that carries a small electrical charge.

There is really no way to sanitize a pool without chlorine. A chlorinator is not a good idea if it uses tabs...those contain stabilizer which is needed but with tabs the stabilizer level gets too high which makes the chlorine less effective. A liquid chlorinator injects into the return line and is carried to the pool...the only drawback is liquid chlorine still needs to be bought and carried home, stored and emptied into the tank. The easiest solution is a salt water generator which makes its' own chlorine by passing salt water over plates in a cell that carries a small electrical charge.
Well The Chlorinator I refer to is a piece of equipment that were having installed which basically holds chlorine tablets, and as the water is pumped it will pick up chlorine from these tablets. Is that no good? I assume If I get this installed and its not a good idea i could apply chlorine in an alternative way? I was under the impression that it was okay to use chlorine tablets?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.