Need a new SWG

I actually just went through this decision for my ~15000 gallon pool. I was very close to buying the SJ-40. In fact, I even placed an order for one, but then I called and canceled the SJ-40 and got an RJ-30+ instead.

I liked that the RJ series will display the water temp and salt content of the water and it also has finer control over the SWG generation percentage. On the RJ you can adjust it in 5% increments and the SJ can only be adjusted in 25% increments.

But honestly the big thing that made the difference for me was that the SJ series wants much more salt in the water. For the SJ the minimum salt level is 3500ppm, but they recommend 4000-4500ppm. For the RJ the minimum level is 3000ppm and they recommend 3500ppm. I felt like the additional salt could affect the taste of the water and could encourage more corrosion.

You could also consider an EDGE-40 as well. It also requires the lower salt levels and it is slightly cheaper than the RJ-30+, but it doesn’t have all of the features of the RJ series.

I don’t think that the SJ-40 would be a bad choice, but for the reasons I outlined above I decided against it.

I actually just went through this decision for my ~15000 gallon pool. I was very close to buying the SJ-40. In fact, I even placed an order for one, but then I called and canceled the SJ-40 and got an RJ-30+ instead.

I liked that the RJ series will display the water temp and salt content of the water and it also has finer control over the SWG generation percentage. On the RJ you can adjust it in 5% increments and the SJ can only be adjusted in 25% increments.

But honestly the big thing that made the difference for me was that the SJ series wants much more salt in the water. For the SJ the minimum salt level is 3500ppm, but they recommend 4000-4500ppm. For the RJ the minimum level is 3000ppm and they recommend 3500ppm. I felt like the additional salt could affect the taste of the water and could encourage more corrosion.

You could also consider an EDGE-40 as well. It also requires the lower salt levels and it is slightly cheaper than the RJ-30+, but it doesn’t have all of the features of the RJ series.

I don’t think that the SJ-40 would be a bad choice, but for the reasons I outlined above I decided against it.

I have the Edge40 and love it. I have a 20K pool and I run by pump at 24x7 at 3 or 4 PSI and the edge at the lowest setting has my FC staying around 5

Just for you information I used my eSeasongear SALT-3050 and made two solutions one of 3000ppm salt and one 4000ppm salt and then tasted both. There isn't a noticeable distinction in taste to my tongue. As far as corrosion goes whatever will be effected with the 4000 will be effected with the 3000.

Last edited:
The increments of operation 5%'s vs. 25%'s is a big difference in practical usage. I would not want to be limited to 25% increments.

Reactions: wireform
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.