Need a new pump

dccase

May 15, 2017
Southern Indiana
I currently have a super pump with no timer and the motor is on its last legs. I am considering switching to VFD instead of just upgrading to a 2 speed motor as our electric company has a $300 rebate on VFD’s. I will have to run 220 to it as there is only 110 but that is no big deal. I have about a 30,000 gal pool and 1 1/2 piping. 1 to the pump and 2 out to the pool. Also a Hayward s244t sand filter. I am considering diy or possibly commercial solar setup this year, but near ground level, not on the roof. And curious if I could switch to a chlorine generator with this older pool in the future. DIY install. Looking at the Hayward super pump VFD or saw the Pureline had a better warranty. Will these work for this pool or are there better options.

d,

In most places you have to have it installed by a "recommended" installer in order to get the electric companies rebate.

Get the pump you want to get, but keep in mind that 1.5" plumbing does not matter to a Variable speed pump. I have two pools that have 1.5" plumbing and they both have 3 HP IntelliFlo pumps. They have been running for 6 or more years without any problems at all.. Larger VS pumps move more water at lower speeds so save slightly more on the electrical costs..

My point is... look at all the pumps your electric company is offering rebates on and then make a decision on which is the best for you. Selecting a VS pump is not like selecting a single speed pump..

Thanks,

Jim R.

d,

In most places you have to have it installed by a "recommended" installer in order to get the electric companies rebate.

Get the pump you want to get, but keep in mind that 1.5" plumbing does not matter to a Variable speed pump. I have two pools that have 1.5" plumbing and they both have 3 HP IntelliFlo pumps. They have been running for 6 or more years without any problems at all.. Larger VS pumps move more water at lower speeds so save slightly more on the electrical costs..

My point is... look at all the pumps your electric company is offering rebates on and then make a decision on which is the best for you. Selecting a VS pump is not like selecting a single speed pump..

Thanks,

Jim R.
I already called and checked with the ultility and the lady said there is no requirement. I can self install. I’m mainly wondering if this is enough pump or do I need to go larger. Any variable speed pump qualifies. Just curious what I should put in. I’ve had this pool 2 years now and have had good luck following the recommendations for care. Next big thing will be to update the cleaning from hand vac.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.