Need a new filter......

Jun 3, 2016
Enfield, CT
Have only had a cartridge filter. Considering changing to DE. Thoughts? I have battled algae for years now and once I kill it and vacuum I feel like it just gets blown back into the pool. Will a DE filter be better at keeping the algae at bay?

kabs,

If I only had a dollar for the number of people that think algae is a filtering problem... I'd have to pay a lot more in income taxes... ;)

As Marty points out, what you have is a chemistry problem. You are simply not keeping your FC high enough in relation to your CYA level... See this chart... [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

How are you currently testing your water? And what are your most recent test results?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I closed my pool yesterday so I won't have to stress about it until spring. I use test strips or bring it to my local pool company. I know you guys recommend buying that Taylor test kit but I am horrible at chemistry (obviously). I am afraid I won't be able to understand it all. I also use the chlorine pucks in the skimmer basket because I don't know how else to keep the pool chlorinated. It seems very costly to have to add a gallon of liquid bleach daily. Plus who has time for that? If it was my choice I would tear the pool down. I am so tired of dealing with all the problems with it. :( I wish it was easier.......

- - - Updated - - -

Also ever single time I test my water my chlorine is 15ppm or more. Pool store tells me to use a chlorine out product because it's so high. My pool has never been green or cloudy either. I just get these little clumps of debris that collect in the crevices of the bottom. I know its algae because when I shock it turns to white/gray clumps.

I closed my pool yesterday so I won't have to stress about it until spring. I use test strips or bring it to my local pool company. I know you guys recommend buying that Taylor test kit but I am horrible at chemistry (obviously). I am afraid I won't be able to understand it all. I also use the chlorine pucks in the skimmer basket because I don't know how else to keep the pool chlorinated. It seems very costly to have to add a gallon of liquid bleach daily. Plus who has time for that? If it was my choice I would tear the pool down. I am so tired of dealing with all the problems with it. :( I wish it was easier.......

- - - Updated - - -

Also ever single time I test my water my chlorine is 15ppm or more. Pool store tells me to use a chlorine out product because it's so high. My pool has never been green or cloudy either. I just get these little clumps of debris that collect in the crevices of the bottom. I know its algae because when I shock it turns to white/gray clumps.

Get the cheapest filter you can get your hands on. If you're not willing to test regularly it doesn't matter they type since all types will filter to below what the eye can see. For time considerations (if that's the main consideration) I'd stick with the cartridge since if you oversize it you can get away with cleaning it only once per season in CT. DE or sand you'll have to backwash 5-10 times per season.

Using TFP methods I have not had to backwash my sand filter at all this year. I did deep clean at opening. If there is nothing growing in your water there is nothing to constantly filter. Last year I backwashed to test out an new hose, otherwise I would not have backwashed last year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.