DonnieTheMan

Apr 3, 2021
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
y’all have always been so helpful and I appreciate it!!

With that being said, I’ve been trying to maintain my pool for my son and wife throughout the summer, but with health issues it’s been somewhat difficult 😞

I just want to make sure I’m going in the right direction.

My pool is currently a mint green color(again) and I somewhat panicked because last time it was like that, my CYA was like 180!

I instantly tested the levels and they were the following:
TA 180
PH 8.0
FC 0
CYA filled to top and black dot was still black as day so I’m assuming it’s at 0

I figured I would start by adding stabilizer in a sock tonight. Used pool calculator and added 2lbs 11oz to bring it to 50. When should I test the CYA level again?

And since there is no CYA in the pool, should I wait until it’s adjusted correctly and then add liquid chlorine to clear the water up?

Good catch above! Only increase the CYA to 30. Once you have the socks soaking for about 30 min, squeeze all the stabilizer out and consider your CYA goal achieved. Verify your CYA tomorrow just to be sure though. Lower the pH to about 7.2 before you increase the FC for the SLAM Process. Then increase the FC to the proper FC SLAM level noted on the FC/CYA Levels and follow the SLAM Process page.

Good catch above! Only increase the CYA to 30. Once you have the socks soaking for about 30 min, squeeze all the stabilizer out and consider your CYA goal achieved. Verify your CYA tomorrow just to be sure though. Lower the pH to about 7.2 before you increase the FC for the SLAM Process. Then increase the FC to the proper FC SLAM level noted on the FC/CYA Levels and follow the SLAM Process page.
So I put the stabilizer in at 9pm. I’ll go and remove it and test tomorrow. Thanks.

So I put the stabilizer in at 9pm. I’ll go and remove it and test tomorrow. Thanks.
Here’s the latest. Pool is still green as of this morning. Yesterday tests:
FC 0 brought to 13 last night
PH 8.0 brought down to 7.2 last night
Cya is around 40
TA 160

Haven’t been able to test this morning because it’s been pouring down. Any ideas why it’s still green?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I actually just reread it again a few mins ago. I guess with everything going on, it just slipped my mind. So it’s ok to add the chlorine during the day while slamming?
If you can test every 3-4 hrs - then bring your FC to SLAM level. The goal is to MAINTAIN a SLAM FC level. The better you maintain it the quicker the process will move along.

Reactions: DonnieTheMan
With that volume pool and type of pool in Houston, I would consider draining, cleaning, and refill if the pool is green from algae.

full

If you can test every 3-4 hrs - then bring your FC to SLAM level. The goal is to MAINTAIN a SLAM FC level. The better you maintain it the quicker the process will move along.
Thanks. It’s been pouring down here all morning so soon as it slacks off, I’ll retest my fc and go from there

Good thing I bought 10 jugs a couple weeks ago lol
Better go buy another 10, if it that green, even though under 7000 gals, you will need to keep the FC up at SLAM level and maintain the pump on, brush often as well. What type of filter do you have.

Better go buy another 10, if it that green, even though under 7000 gals, you will need to keep the FC up at SLAM level and maintain the pump on, brush often as well. What type of filter do you have.
I switched from a cartridge filter to a sand pump a couple months ago. Pump always runs 24/7. I just backwashed the sand and retested the FC. It was at 10.5 so I brought it back up to 16. And yeah, I’m going to buy some more today.

Reactions: HermanTX
Ok guys. The pool is nice and blue again! I have a question regarding my FC level. I normally keep my FC at 6 or 7, and I add my chlorine at night of course to bring it to that. The sun eats it up like crazy though during the day. My concern with that is algae growth if all the FC is ate up early in the day. Should I be concerned, or just keep doing what I’m doing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.