Need a Little Help with Algae

Ebaker1181

Aug 20, 2019
Columbia, SC
Hello all, my name is Elijah and I am new to this forum and pool ownership. I have read through all of the Pool School threads including the SLAM section regarding Algae. Had our pool for about a year now (currently live in SC). My problem is my pool is starting to turn green due to algae. I tested my water today with the following results: PH - 7.4, TA - 120, FAC -4, TAC - 0.2 difference, CH - 140, CYA - 80, and Pho (phosphates) - 500. Obviously the high phosphates is what is causing the algae. I have a few questions below:

1. I went to Leslie's to get some algaecide and nophos/phosfree. From reading this thread it sounds like I need to forget about adding the nophos and just start the SLAM process? Is this correct?

2. I asked about using liquid bleach as chlorine vs a granular chlorine and he basically laughed at me and was like heck no don't ever use bleach as your sanitizing agent. From everything I have seen on this forum/website almost everyone recommends liquid bleach over granular chlorine. I have a vinyl liner pool. Why would he have this attitude towards using bleach as my chlorine? Fear of losing money?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

First, high phosphates are not the cause of your algae, low chlorine is the problem relative to your CYA. See FC/CYA Levels

1. Algaecides are more for prevention of algae (although not needed at all if you maintain proper chlorine levels) and will not do much to get rid of algae. You need chlorine and to follow the SLAM Process. And yes you are correct. Forget about the algaecides and phosphates. Easiest way to do that is to avoid the pool stores. If you read the SLAM article you should have noticed the first step is to get one of the recommended test kits. Have you ordered one?

2. They have that attitude either out of compete ignorance (do they even have a pool?) or quite possibly out of a fear of losing money. Liquid chlorine is by far the best way to add chlorine due to the lack of side-effects, it just adds a little salt.

Did you see the other videos?

I did not see the videos on the FC/CYA ratio or the Shock explained video. I did watch them though and that has clarified a lot of my questions. As for a test kit, I currently have the entry level kit from Taylor, I think its the K-1004 but I have the tf-100 on order so I can test for the high FC levels I will need to SLAM the pool. I will start with draining some water and adding back, water is fairly cheap here in SC. Once I get the CYA down I will begin the SLAM process. I really don't know how my CYA got so high because I have only been shocking once a week (Cal-hypo shock) and using 2 tabs (I am assuming the tabs are what increased it). Will not be using the tabs anymore though, I am going to switch to the liquid bleach. What is the recommended strength - 10%?

There is no recommended strength for the bleach. Use whatever gives you best $ / oz of chlorine. I suggest you start using the PoolMath app and in it there is a calculator to allow comparison shopping of different strengths.

Just be sure there are no additives in it if you use household bleach.

The best deal is usually if you can find a place that sells in reusable jugs. The local pool store here sells 12.5% in 4 gallon cases, with the 12th bottle free.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.