Necessity of closing during winter?

Helter

Gold Supporter
Jul 14, 2022
SE PA, USA
New pool owner here... I'm in SE PA USA, we don't get super cold winters, but do spend a month or two with temperatures below freezing, and 0 degrees F isn't unheard of. We have a whole house generator, so ignoring the potential for a power failure that stops my pump, would there be a significant problem with leaving my pool running all winter? Will the pump circulation and salt be enough to keep the water from freezing, and avoid any significant negative consequences?

New pool owner here... I'm in SE PA USA, we don't get super cold winters, but do spend a month or two with temperatures below freezing, and 0 degrees F isn't unheard of. We have a whole house generator, so ignoring the potential for a power failure that stops my pump, would there be a significant problem with leaving my pool running all winter? Will the pump circulation and salt be enough to keep the water from freezing, and avoid any significant negative consequences?
There isn't enough salt in your pool to significantly lower the water freezing temperature. My advice is - don't do it...

Assuming your system has a freeze guard, your pump will be running 24x7 when temps are slightly below 40°. Ours kicks on at 38°. I’m in Texas, so I never close my pool, but we’ve had some extended freezes that had me worried, especially in ‘21 when our power was cycling off and on and temps were below 0. If I lived in an area that spends a month or 2 below freezing, I’d close for the winter.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
There isn't enough salt in your pool to significantly lower the water freezing temperature. My advice is - don't do it...
Yeah, I found a chart and the level of salt in the pool doesn't seem to change the freeze point much.
Assuming your system has a freeze guard, your pump will be running 24x7 when temps are slightly below 40°. Ours kicks on at 38°. I’m in Texas, so I never close my pool, but we’ve had some extended freezes that had me worried, especially in ‘21 when our power was cycling off and on and temps were below 0. If I lived in an area that spends a month or 2 below freezing, I’d close for the winter.
I have a VSP, and run it 24/7. The schedule is 4 hours on high, 4 hours on medium, and 16 hours on low. What made me think of it is that my wife read a book by someone who swims every day, all year long, and wanted to give it a try...

Do you have a heater? I imagine it would cost a small fortune to heat the pool in winter to a swimmable temperature.

Im also in SE PA.

Ive seen one pool in the neighborhood that was designed to stay open year round but it was covered with a permanent tent enclosure and heated. Not an indoor pool but not exactly outdoor either.

I would not risk it.

Also in SE PA (New London Twp) and our pool builder related a story of a customer in the area who insisted on having their system set up to keep the gunite spa running year round. Due to freeze protection, their first winter propane bill was ~$10,000. After that they gave it up.

Reactions: trivetman
I'm in SWPA and I'd never attempt not winterizing my pool. The weather would destroy the pool lines.

I'm in NCPA and I wholeheartedly agree with Casey. You would be courting disaster by Christmas, no matter the year. Buy a membership at the "Y" if you need to swim all winter anywhere in PA.

Need more of a push? Total up the price of all that wonderful equipment in your signature. Every bit of it could be at risk. Winterizing all of it before freezing temps arrive, should take no more than a day. Opening it in the spring, the same. And it will probably be just as you left it. As for me, I wouldn't tempt fate.

Good luck on whatever you decide, though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.