Nbors pool is full of green algae

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
My nbor obviously has an issue w chemistries, mainly bc their “pool person” has used pucks for yrs.

I had him drain 1/2 of his 14-15K gal pool to lower CYA, then add 3 gals of bleach as his fills his pool, and i instructed w hose. He filled it from the water source that comes from the tile water line, so i am sure his pH is shot w all the aeration. They also had a sand filter that was “broken” and replaced w a lg Pentair 4/cartridge filter.

So, I’ve never had deep green water, but where do you suggest I start? I’m having him buy 5 more gals of 8% bleach and 2 gals of 32% M Acid. The pool is CL based. I’m waiting for water line to hit skimmers, and once an inch or so, prime the pump & fire it up.

i can post back w pH & FC, but I’m low on CYA mixing fluid and ordered more. I’ve posted a pic from over my fence. Also, even though he drained 1/2 of pool and added 3 gals of bleach for starters, the color doesn’t look any lighter before draining. He’s also running his dolphin full time too.

thank you & pls advise

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    857.7 KB · Views: 25
It is important that you know your CYA before starting a SLAM, also need to know the pH and have that in the 7.2 to 7.4 range.
If he has a bottom drain, then you can start the pump using only suction from the main drain. Plus brush the sides.

Can you backwash or clean the filter before you start the SLAM? Can he vacuum to waste? Not sure if running his cleaner is of any value unless he is emptying the algae from it. I would just remove it and clean it good that it does not have algae on it. Letting the filter catch the dead algae or vacuuming to waste actually removes the dead algae from the pool. You will need to clean and/or backwash the filter after a couple of days to remove the algae. Both requires you to add new tap water which affects the levels of FC and pH so be aware of that.

5 gals may not be enough to maintain the FC at proper level. Have you gone to Home Depot to purchase 10% LC? Also, if you have a Pinch a Penny near you they sell 10% LC. If you live in Spring area of Houston, they have a distributor (NAPCO) that sells 12.5% LC to the general public 3 days a week at very good price (at least it was earlier this year).

Just to get a rough idea while you wait for your own reagents, you might suggest your neighbor take a water sample to Leslie's or some nearby pool store. Yeah, not 100% reliable, but now you have no information. Then point your neighbor to the TF-100 test kit, advise getting their top of the line kit, and maybe an extra container of DPD powder for the SLAM you're going to have him do. Besides HD, Walmart also sells 10% liquid chlorine. Or, that looks like a nice house. He can get 12.5% liquid chlorine from Leslies when he takes his water for testing. They sell it in 4-gallon boxes. Not cheap, but cheaper than a pool guy!

Just to get a rough idea while you wait for your own reagents, you might suggest your neighbor take a water sample to Leslie's or some nearby pool store
Let me just clean this up a bit from the previously more raw version:

Strongly disagree on this. The "better to do the wrong thing than do nothing" mentality just makes more problems in pool care. The pool isn't going to suddenly get 10x worse by waiting a few days, but making incorrect changes because of faulty data possibly could. It is better to wait and make sure the right thing is done, regardless of how much it pains us to not do anything when there's a problem. Getting good data and enacting a solid plan is always the better solution when it comes to water chemistry. Besides that, the advice that is inevitable to come from the pool store might sound solid to someone without much experience. Putting someone in that situation for no other reason than impatience is not a very good plan.

Last edited:
Thanks Herman & Bill...appreciate it.

We reside in West Hou so I am not far from you Herman. And, I go to NAPCO and fill three 5 gal containers...seems like I have been doing that quite often this year. I can direct him to Pinch-Penny or W-Mart too. He also used one shock bag too. Once I get the pump primed and running, I will add the acid to achieve a 7.2 pH I am going to suggest that he hires someone to clean his filters. The good news is the new filter was installed 2 days ago on Friday, but I know dead algae can clog filters quickly. I will have him watch his filter pressure gauge too.

Yes, I have already directed him to the TF-100 kit about 2 weeks ago and sent him a link.

Thanks again guys,
tstex

Last edited:
I will add the acid to a achieve a 7.2 pH I am going to suggest that he hires someone to clean his filters. The good news is the new filter was installed 2 days ago on Friday, but I know dead algae and clog filters quickly. I will watch or have him watch his filter pressure gauge too.
If it is that new - maybe just a backwash is needed as he has not killed any algae yet. But he does need to monitor the pressure increase once he starts the SLAM process.
You are a good neighbor to help him. Good Luck.

Well,

emptied half the pool & filled it back while applying 4 gal of bleach and 2 bags mostly hypochlorite shock (no CYA). Added enough MA to bring pH down from darkest of purple I’ve ever seen to a good 7.2. Here’s the results in 26-32 hrs. Not bad huh?
[/YOUTUBE]
still a little opaque from dead algae but got his pump back on again…

Attachments

• DA9F9984-9432-4C40-999D-6DFBEE302694.jpeg
    DA9F9984-9432-4C40-999D-6DFBEE302694.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.