NB in Chandler, AZ - Pebblesheen + abalone question

ahidnes

May 20, 2019
Chandler, AZ
Hi from a newbie! NB in Chandler, AZ. Pebble was applied today and abalone was supposed to be added. My question....can you see the abalone in the pebble before it's acid washed and water in the pool? I can't see it and just wanted to make sure it was added. Also worried about the dark spots to the right of the picture in the shadow, any concern there?

Attachments

• 20190529_160332.jpg
    20190529_160332.jpg
    653.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 20190529_160253.jpg
    20190529_160253.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
Hi and welcome to TFP. I have a couple of questions I need to know the answers to before I can answer your question.

Did the mix the shell in the plaster or hand cast it?

Did they acid wash the pool? Do you know what kind of start up they plan on using.

If they mixed the shells into the plaster mix you may not see any until after the acid wash. After the acid wash you should be able to see some shine from them then. It might need to be a sunny day to see them real good.

When the water is started to fill the pool do NOT turn it off for any reason. If you do turn it off it could cause a ring around on the new plaster that is almost impossible to get out :(

Here is your shopping list:
-2 2 cup plastic measuring cups-one is for muriatic acid and the other for all other chemicals making sure they have the oz printed on the side.

-white plate-I have a plastic one-I hold this up behind the pH test to help me match the colors.

-good source for liquid chlorine or PLAIN bleach (watchout for chloriamax and such)-some pool stores sell chlorine (11%). Walmart carries "liquid shock" (10%) but only during the season. Make sure to learn how to read the born on date as chlorine degrades over time. You want to make sure it is no older than 3 months. It needs to be stored in a cool, dark place.

-muriatic acid-make sure to get the 31.5%. It can be found outside at Lowes or Home Depot.

-something plastic and vented to store the muriatic acid in if you have kids around. Oh and lockable to keep little hands out. M. acid should not be stored by chlorine as they do not play well together. You should also keep it away from metal as it's fumes can cause rust. M. acid can be stored outside as heat does not bother it.

-safety glasses to wear when you need to add the above m. acid

- FUN plastic cups and such for pool side eating and drinks!!!

Have fun shopping!!!

Kim:kim:

What test kit did you order?
Fill out your signature with your pool and equipment specs (including test kit) - see my signature and others for what to include.

Woohoo, thanks for the awesome advice all! Acid wash was today and my concerns re: the dark spot and abalone are gone. Pool slowly filling, should have startup Saturday.

I have ordered the TF-100 kit, it's on the way.

Hi neighbor Rob! The link you shared for OCLT, is that correct?

Kim, thank you for the comprehensive list, super helpful!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks mknauss! I just found that and was perusing, good read! I will have the supplies but what will PB typically do at startup? I was under the assumption they would turn on equipment when they came Friday afternoon/Saturday but this article makes it seem like there are steps to take before system turn on. Should I be doing these on my own (the MA, etc) before they come?

Hopefully the pool will be full when they come to do the start up so the pump can be turned on. Those steps are to be done when the pool is full and the pump is running.

Pool school from the PB-make sure to take good notes. Don't think you will remember any/all of it. We can also help you figure stuff out if you do forget or are unsure of something. It might be helpful if you have a printed picture of the equipment to write notes on. Have them show you what valve does what and make notes!

Ask your PB! Some PB have it written into the start up sheet "As soon as the water is half way up the skimmer JUMP IN!". It does depend on what start up they use and what they may have added to the water. Here is hoping he will say CANNON BALL when you ask!

Reactions: ahidnes
Hello neighbor, I am in Gilbert, just a little north of you. Our pool was filled last Saturday and our kids swam on Monday after pool company added a few tablets. They added more chemical the other day and asked us to stay out for 24 hours, very tough to keep the kids out. Still waiting for official startup.... 104062
104063startup...104061

Gorgeous, Jon! Our turf install is scheduled for 6/11, we can't wait. Yours looks great. Who was your PB?

Out startup guy said we wait 1 hr after initial startup....we'll see what he does tomorrow. We have some super excited kids (and dogs)!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.