Central Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
My pool is under construction and the nature 2 fusion SWG was installed. After reading several posts on TFP, it seems that the mineral cartridge will be bad for our inground plaster pool. Can I just have the SWG cell operating in the nature 2 fusion SWG and not place the mineral cartridge in? I still have the blank cap that would cover over the mineral slot without the mineral cartridge needing to actually be inside. If I go this route, would I need to add chlorine tabs in the nature 2 fusion SWG periodically? Thanks!

I've never owned a Nature 2, so perhaps some who has will catch your thread and reply. But I do believe others have removed the mineral cartridge once they learned about the problems it can cause. From that point, your pool is a traditional non-SWG pool. I would not add chlorine tabs to that system. In fact, I wouldn't rely on the use of tabs/pucks very long at all because they increase your CYA to much. You can use some tabs for a short period in a floater, then remove them once the CYA is at a good level. From there, simply switch to regular bleach and add to the pool each day as needed. That's what many of us do.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Quant,

If it were my pool, I'd ask the builder if you can swap the Fusion 2 for a standard SWG. There are posts on TFP that indicate you can use the Nature 2 in SWG mode only. Problem is that the Fusion 2 SWG cells are generally not sized to the TFP recommendation of 2x the recommended pool size to yield optimal cell life. TFP method uses liquid chlorine to avoid the buildup of CYA. Some do use tablets for unattended pool time such as vacations. But you have to stay low in the CYA range for this to work which wastes FC in the long run. Another problem with tablets is that many of them contain additives that will cause problems. If you have any that have "other ingredients" don't use them.

If you can't get the builder to exchange the SWG I'd try to use it with no minerals until the FC content can't be maintained then install a major brand salt system. If needed you can supplement with liquid chlorine until you have the long-term solution in place. Please read "Pool School" and get familiar with the TFP technique now so you'll be ready when your pool maintenance is handed off to you from the builder.

I've found Pool School and help of people on this site to work superbly for 3+ years. But remember Pool School is a foundation. There are a lot of questions specific to your pool that you can get expert help on that will enhance your pool experience. Ask away! Experts here love to help newbies just like they did for me when I took over my pool.

I hope this helps.

Chris

The FusionSoft is great. I have never used the mineral cartridge just kept the blankout plate in it. You are fine with that SWG. I would not replace it I actually like the design better than other SWGs I have seen. Mine produces lots of chlorine I keep it at 52% running 24x7. The internals are the same as the Jandy Aquapure 1400. Just make sure you have the FusionSoft 1400 and not the 700.

FYI: You can't add chlorine pucks to the FusionSoft. The Fusion is slightly different and designed to take the tablets.

The FusionSoft is great. I have never used the mineral cartridge just kept the blankout plate in it. You are fine with that SWG. I would not replace it I actually like the design better than other SWGs I have seen. Mine produces lots of chlorine I keep it at 52% running 24x7. The internals are the same as the Jandy Aquapure 1400. Just make sure you have the FusionSoft 1400 and not the 700.

FYI: You can't add chlorine pucks to the FusionSoft. The Fusion is slightly different and designed to take the tablets.

Thanks all! Good to hear Poolgate about your experience with the fusionsoft. Yes, I have the FusionSoft 1400. My rectangle pool is 16x36 without a spa. So it sounds like I will not need to add pucks/tablets, but I will need to add liquid chlorine. Will the chlorine go into the empty slot of the fusionsoft or into the pool itself? I’m still learning, so great to hear that people here are understanding. On average, how long do the cell kits last in the fusionsoft 1400 before needing to be replaced? I assume there will be some indicator on the iaqualink-RS automation stating when a replacement is needed. Yes, I plan to read up more on the pool school before the builder hands it off to me after construction.

Last edited:
When you need to add liquid chlorine, which should be not often with a SWCG, you add directly to the pool at a return with the pump running.

Q,

It may just be me, but I get the impression that you do not fully understand how a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG) works.. so just in case you can read the following..

The pool builder will add a lot of salt to your pool. As the pool runs, this saltwater will pass through the SWCG where it will react with a small DC voltage. This reaction creates Chlorine Gas. The gas and the saltwater return to the pool. Once in the pool, this chlorine is the same as Liquid Chlorine or any other chlorine. The only time that you would ever need to add Liquid Chlorine to your pool, would be in the winter (assuming you don't close for the winter).. This is because SWCG's do not work when the water temperature gets below about 52 degrees.

You seem to be under the impression that everything will just run and all you need to do is monitor your automation system.. Nothing is farther from the truth. While having a SWCG makes pool maintenance very easy, maintenance still has to be done.. The SWCG has no idea what the chlorine level in your pool is... It just knows to make x amount of chlorine per day.. It is an open loop system and has no brain.. You are the one with the brain. You need to routinely test your pool water and make sure all the chemicals are where they need to be. Your brain needs to understand how your pool works and what each chemical is supposed to do. After each test you then can make the decision as to what needs to be done.. If your FC is too high you can turn the SWCG's output down... If your pH is too high, you can add some Muriatic Acid... etc...

I suggest that you take a look at our Pool School and see what we are all about..

Thanks for posting, you will love your new Saltwater pool..

Jim R.

Reactions: Dtkokay
Thanks all! Good to hear Poolgate about your experience with the fusionsoft. Yes, I have the FusionSoft 1400. My rectangle pool is 16x36 without a spa. So it sounds like I will not need to add pucks/tablets, but I will need to add liquid chlorine. Will the chlorine go into the empty slot of the fusionsoft or into the pool itself? I’m still learning, so great to hear that people here are understanding. On average, how long do the cell kits last in the fusionsoft 1400 before needing to be replaced? I assume there will be some indicator on the iaqualink-RS automation stating when a replacement is needed. Yes, I plan to read up more on the pool school before the builder hands it off to me after construction.

Under normal conditions your salt water generator will create all the chlorine you need. You should not have to manually add any chlorine accept possibly in the beginning of a new plaster job since they recommend waiting to use a SWG for 30 days with a new plaster. And in this case you'd add bleach directly to the water. You will rarely, if ever open up the SWG. The cell lasts usually 7-10 years and requires no maintenance as long as your water parameters are correct.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.