Name That Part - Suction Side Plumbing

Jul 4, 2017
Houston
TFP,

I would like to know what part this is (highlighted in orange but not the valve) on my pool and what it does. It appears to be on the suction side of the piping before it gets to the pumps. I am wondering about it because I am tracking down the air getting into the my main pump. I do have a suction powered vacuum with the pool and I feel like it MAY be associated to that. The lid on it is pretty rough and I would like to look at replacing it. The majority of the equipment is Jandy and I have tried to look through their product line however I haven't had much success.

Suction Basket.jpg

The reason I'm looking into this is because I just replaced the two lids on the pumps after trying to work with new seals and gobs of lube. The new lids work much better without any lube needed however there is still some air bubbles getting into the main pump basket. I have a feeling this may be another cause of the air and want to keep working backwards in the system.

Thank You

There appear to be wires going to and/or coming from that unit (in the orange square) and maybe some sort of electronic box connected between it and the valve handle. Do you know that those are for?

Does the unit in the orange square have any sort of trap/basket/strainer in it?

The wires may be for the valve actuator at the bottom of the square (changing the pump from pulling from the spa or pool).

I haven't taken the lid off of the piece just yet as I'm going to bet it's held together by a pound of silicone/lube.

When I checked the baskets on the pumps, I found tons of lube holding it together. This made it difficult to put back together without air coming in and thus prompting me to replace the lids. I can't exactly see a basket in there however the lid is so worn that you really can't see much through it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.