Name that old spa light

Mar 2, 2014
Dallas
Name that old spa light-
Starting a thread for pool owners to identify old spa lights to help select a compatible replacement. Disclaimer - when in doubt call the various manufactures to see if they can confirm. There will be different opinions even from retailers.

I’ll get the thread started. This is a 30 yr old spa light installed in 1989. There are labels and a part number, but the manufacture is faded out. I believe it is a Pentair by the faceplate and the address of Moorpark Ca. Pentair believes so as well, however they have no record of part number J-348047. Pentair is currently seeking a second opinion to confirm as the back of the housing is not the style they recall. One online pool supply retailer stated the part number indicates J&J but to call manufacture to confirm. I found this unlikely and J&J agrees. Once I receive a conformation response from Pentair, I will update the post.

Please include old spa lights in this thread with info. See thread Name that old pool light for pool lights.

Pictures

8524EF3E-26F3-4320-B41D-47B9FF898DC6.jpeg418DA43A-54D0-4FDD-AB3F-92B6D4468839.jpeg

Update: Pentair states any sized light- spabrite, aqualight, or 5g spa will fit. Pentair states 5g Spa would be safest because there will not be very much room in the light for the extra cord for the light to reach surface deck with spabrite or aqualight. The current light/cord will not reach deck.

Last edited:
Looks like Pentair Aqualight or Spabrite.

Originally American Products, which was based in Moorpark Ca.

In May 1997, Pac-Fab acquired American Products. In May 1999, Pentair acquired Pac Fab.

Last edited:
Update: Pentair states any sized light- spabrite, aqualight, or 5g spa will fit. Pentair states 5g Spa would be safest because there will not be very much room in the light for the extra cord for the light to reach surface deck with spabrite or aqualight. The current light/cord will not reach deck.

Reactions: JamesW
For a spa, I would go with a lower lumen light so it's not too bright.

Maybe check with Pentair to see if the light is dimmer compatible.

Dimming Lights
In order to dim lights, the Dimmer Module (P/N 520406) must be installed by a qualified electrician in the IntelliTouch Load Center or Power Center. Only incandescent tungsten filament lights can be dimmed (not Halogen lights). Lights that have dimming functionality can be dimmed from the Lights screen. SAm or SAL fiber optic lights, MagicStream Laminars, Halogen and IntelliBrite lights cannot be dimmed. For more information, refer to “Setting up Lighting Options,” page 42. The circuit must be assigned to the “Dimmer” circuit function (see page 41) in order to operate correctly.

Last edited:
Thanks James. If I’m looking at the multitude of aqualight models, the 250w is the only one that comes in 30’ cord. The 75/100w come in 15’ or 100’ cord. Over $100 more for 70’ + feet not needed. Perhaps if too bright, 100/75w bulbs compatible with the 250w fixture...or just say welcome to the fire and brimstone spa. Another question for Pentair.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update for those who searched for this particular old American Products Co. spa light and replacement with a Pentair Spa light. Pentair states the Aqualight or Spabrite have same dimensions. They seem to have a little different shape but .. they state same dimensions. I have included a picture supplied by Pentair and I added one measurement (in blue) that seems important. This light is much smaller than the American Products for the part that fits the niche.
78BC18FC-190E-4176-B10B-504EBF67A9E4.jpeg

Also, the 77168100 Aqualight Pool & Spa Light can be fitted with the lower wattage bulb. However they stated the lower wattage light cannot be fitted with the higher wattage bulb. Not to say it won’t fit, but not recommended. They stated can’t.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.