MyDolphin App / Active 30i - can no longer control

SamsIam

Bronze Supporter
May 28, 2016
Arlington, TX
I have an issue that I reached out to Maytronics support on and before I proceed due to cost, I wanted to run it by here.
About 1 year or so back, I replaced my cable and bought the swivel type cable which has done as expected. A few months back I found that I can connect to the cleaner with the app and turn it off/on but I cannot set cleaning mode, cleaning time, or any other feature. Manual drive does not work either. They said that this happens when there is a cable issue. I have reseated the cable multiple times on the power supply and the cleaner to no avail. Has anyone else seen this kind of issue?

Sounds like the new cable is not allowing full communications to the power supply, and therefore, not letting all the features be used. Are you sure you got the right cable for your Active30i. I think there are different cables for different robots. Some may use one type and others may use another type.

Sounds like the new cable is not allowing full communications to the power supply, and therefore, not letting all the features be used. Are you sure you got the right cable for your Active30i. I think there are different cables for different robots. Some may use one type and others may use another type.
It is the 3 wire cable. It worked completely for about 6 months.

here is what i bought. side note - anyone know what DIY is in the part number? i'd assume that means the obvious however when i contacted support they said if i replace it myself i would void their warranty (which is only 6 months on these cables). not very please with their customer service. next sweep probably won't be maytronics because of that.

1681938656321.png

anyone know what DIY is in the part number?
Generally if your cord installs through the TOP of the cleaner, it takes a cable with part numbers ending in -DIY. These cords come with the motor plug already attached and the opening on the cleaner housing itself is large enough for this type of plug to go through.

The swivel connectors are flaky. You probably need to open it up and assess the contacts to see if there is any corrosion or damage. Back in the day when I owned a robot (I don't anymore, I use a suction side cleaner now), I considered getting a swivel cable because my cord was tangling occasionally. After reading lots of reviews about them I decided they were not worth the additional $100 that Maytronics charges for them and I did not want yet-another-thing-to-break ... it's kind of like modern cars nowadays, everything is powered by the tap of the touchscreen on the main display (buttons are going away slowly but surely) - just more fancy doodads to break with no hope of being able to fix them yourself ... but the dealer will be happy to replace it all for a few thousand dollars ...

The swivel connectors are flaky. You probably need to open it up and assess the contacts to see if there is any corrosion or damage. Back in the day when I owned a robot (I don't anymore, I use a suction side cleaner now), I considered getting a swivel cable because my cord was tangling occasionally. After reading lots of reviews about them I decided they were not worth the additional $100 that Maytronics charges for them and I did not want yet-another-thing-to-break ... it's kind of like modern cars nowadays, everything is powered by the tap of the touchscreen on the main display (buttons are going away slowly but surely) - just more fancy doodads to break with no hope of being able to fix them yourself ... but the dealer will be happy to replace it all for a few thousand dollars ...
Thanks,
I was wondering about this but wanted to see if anyone has attempted this. I am pretty sure I reinstalled the app @SecoSteve as I had to replace the motor unit prior to this because it had other issues and it was not registering the new serial number.

I will take a look inside the swivel this weekend and let you know.
thanks again.

checked the swivel - clean as a whistle and dry as can be. no issues found there

Reactions: JoyfulNoise

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hard to say how to proceed. You could buy a non-swivel cable for around $100 plus shipping and see if that solves the problem. If it does, then the swivel cable you have has an issue. If it doesn’t solve the problem, then it could be something on the driver board inside the motor assembly.

Yea. I realize that. Really sucks as i am fighting my easytouch controller with similar oddities. Glad i dont use my old school pool guy anymore cause he’d be singing the “i told you so” on tech. It is what it is.. thanks

well i am out on a ledge here and about to jump. dropped money on a new cable and did not fix it. im so sick of this thing. had to replace the entire inside unit last year and of course its over a year old so i am sure its out of warranty if it would even be coverd. OH, AND HERE IS ANOTHER THING - when i opened a ticket with maytronics on the cable which has DIY in the freaking part number, they say doing it yourself voids the warranty! so word to the wise, beware..... not dropping another 500 on that thing. between this and my pump/controller blowing up this year which i am still fighting, i am about to fill this pool in with dirt! gah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what other cleaner options are available for your pool other than robots? IMHO, robots are built like junk nowadays and you either have to commit to dropping $1000 every 3-5 years on a new one or go another route. I chose “another route” by going back to my suction cleaner. Do you have “another route” option?

what other cleaner options are available for your pool other than robots? IMHO, robots are built like junk nowadays and you either have to commit to dropping $1000 every 3-5 years on a new one or go another route. I chose “another route” by going back to my suction cleaner. Do you have “another route” option?
valid point. as i read through the posts and see lifespan of the cleaners i guess i am past the EOL. i enjoyed this robot while it worked well. frustrated with the company a bit. while i am at odds with Dolphin, i am not sure i can stomach going back to my polaris. it frustrated me to no end and i rebuilt it like 3 times. not electronics like this but the parts are so dam expensive. i think i just need to change me for now - move power supply to a more convenient location and just do it manually until i am ready. read Jims review on EVO which sounds good but i suspect in the long run, it is no better. Companies have no desire to build quality products but its hard to blame them having to turn a profit. actually you can blame them but what are ya gonna do? first world problems..

Last edited:
Am I correct that your robot still operates, you just can’t control/drive/adjust it through the app? I have the exact same issue with mine, Maytronics suspected in my case the issue is the power supply.

But the robot is far from the trash heap, I just started the cycle from the power supply and it runs the default program. One day if I find someone close by with the same/similar machine I will perhaps borrow a power supply to see if that works.

Also fwiw, this started happening on mine after a lightning storm which also fried my Hayward salt main board as well as a TV and couple other small things in the house.

yea. sounds like same issue. last May i replaced the brains/drive inside the sweep. it is one unit. i was having a different set of issues but similar. worked great and then at some point it started this issue - probably 6-9 months ago. support told me it was cable. finally took the plunge to replace the cable after my pup chewed it a bit (did not impact connection and well after issue started). put it in yesterday and same issue. i can turn it on and off and that's it. it fails anytime i try any mode or scheduling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.