My very 1st TF-100 results! Anyone wants to critique me?

AviatorBimmer

Mar 29, 2021
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
Finally got my TF-100 kit today and of course I ran out to the pool to test it.

Here are my results:

FC: 8.5
CC: 0.5
PH: 7.5
TA: 80
CH: 425
CYA: 90
Water Temp: 74F
CSI: -0.34

For comparison, here are the results I got from my local pool store:

FC: 10+
CC: 0.0
PH: 8.2
TA: 65
CH: 290
CYA: 50
Water Temp: 65F
CSI: 0.27

I think the results from the pool store which were taken almost 6 days ago, were a bit iffy?

Based on their recommendations, I added 48 oz of stabilizer and 14 oz of muriatic acid.

The CH numbers are really far apart though and I want to say the TA as well.

What you guys think? What should be my next course of action.

BTW, I still have not activated my SWG since I installed it last weekend. I'm waiting for the FC to drop to around 3 or 4 then I'll activate it at a slow rate and try to find the right power to maintain it around 5 to 6.

Looking for suggestions on what to do next and where does my pool's condition stands right now.

Hello and Welcome to TFP!!!
Great job getting the test kit. Trust your testing and ignore the pool store tests. You added acid and pH and TA went down, that is expected.
Have you added salt already? If so, get that SWG running and keep FC per the FC/CYA Levels.
A FC of 4ppm is the minimum for a CYA of 90ppm. As in you never want FC below 4ppm. You want to be at 6-7ppm ideally and you are at 8.5 now. By tomorrow you will be at ideal, but continue to loose 2-3ppm per day. So get that SWG running now.

Hello and Welcome to TFP!!!
Great job getting the test kit. Trust your testing and ignore the pool store tests. You added acid and pH and TA went down, that is expected.
Have you added salt already? If so, get that SWG running and keep FC per the FC/CYA Levels.
A FC of 4ppm is the minimum for a CYA of 90ppm. As in you never want FC below 4ppm. You want to be at 6-7ppm ideally and you are at 8.5 now. By tomorrow you will be at ideal, but continue to loose 2-3ppm per day. So get that SWG running now.

Oh wow, I will get it started right away then!

Replacing some water will bring down the CYA and CH, but those numbers are not too extreme at all. I'd wait and test a few more times over the next week...see how repeatable they are, then make some tweaks as needed.

I will continue to monitor the FC and PH everyday but I'll do the other tests next Thursday and see where they are. Thanks!

Great numbers!!!

Use the Pool Math App to help you set SWC settings.

I used it today for the first time attempting to get to a consistent FC = 6, I tested at 5.2 today.

pool math advised my SWC @10% setting given I run my pump at low 950 rpm 24x7.

Reactions: AviatorBimmer
Great numbers!!!

Use the Pool Math App to help you set SWC settings.

I used it today for the first time attempting to get to a consistent FC = 6, I tested at 5.2 today.

pool math advised my SWC @10% setting given I run my pump at low 950 rpm 24x7.

I did exactly that! lol

According to Pool Math, if I run my pump for 13 hours and want to increase FC by 2 PPM, then I need to set it at 29%. My SWG does 10% increments, so I set it at 30%.

I will monitor FC closely the next few days and see how this pans out.

Jesus, I feel like a chemist. 🤣

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, so you know what to expect once it’s ‘dialed in’, Pretty much week over week nothing will change and the FC tests will be good. But 3 or 4 times you will need to bump that runtime up as the UV increases from the sun. At mid season you will do the exact reverse for the back half. Good for 4-6 weeks.... ooops, too high..... dial down a hair..... good for 4-6 weeks... ooops too high again ..... dial down.

Also, so you know what to expect once it’s ‘dialed in’, Pretty much week over week nothing will change and the FC tests will be good. But 3 or 4 times you will need to bump that runtime up as the UV increases from the sun. At mid season you will do the exact reverse for the back half. Good for 4-6 weeks.... ooops, too high..... dial down a hair..... good for 4-6 weeks... ooops too high again ..... dial down.

Sounds like fun to me! Nothing more satisfying than seeing the work you put into something bear fruits. Even today I was just standing there contemplating the water. 🤣

Last edited:
I was dead set against a pool for all the complaining everybody did about theirs. And they were either green or cloudy ALL the time. Hundreds and hundreds at the pool store all the time as well. I did not want one Sam I AM. Not in a house. Not with a mouse.......

Anywho I eventually lost the battle with the Mrs and had ZERO of the problems I had always heard of. It’s a snap when it’s done right. And I LOVE what little work I need to do.

I was dead set against a pool for all the complaining everybody did about theirs. And they were either green or cloudy ALL the time. Hundreds and hundreds at the pool store all the time as well. I did not want one Sam I AM. Not in a house. Not with a mouse.......

Anywho I eventually lost the battle with the Mrs and had ZERO of the problems I had always heard of. It’s a snap when it’s done right. And I LOVE what little work I need to do.

Same here! Just horror stories but now I realize that people just don't want to put a little bit of effort into it and learn to do it the right way. Yes, it can be overwhelming at times but this site has been of immense help. I will definitely by donating very soon too. 😉

Once my Maytronics Active 30i arrives either this weekend or on Monday, I feel extremely confident I'm ready to take control of this pool with the least amount of effort.

Reactions: Newdude
I'll let you in on a secret, back in Spring 2016, my wife came to me and said " I want to get a pool, I've always wanted one so we are getting one." I tried every line in the "Guide to get out of buying something you don't want: Wife edition". I was laying all the excuses out in protest, I had a bunch of well thought out logical reasons not to get a pool. I wasn't doing any maintenance-that was her job, she had to take care of it, brush it, chemicals, net out all the gross stuff including the skimmer. Water risks... Someone was gonna die of course. blah, blah. But she wasn't taking NO for an answer, Obviously we all know who "won" that debate... Looking back, I should have just agreed from the start and been able to enjoy the pool a month earlier than we did.. We bought one, had it installed and then I found this Forum. It's the best thing that could have happened! No lie. But I willingly and graciously accepted the responsibility since I wanted it clean, low cost, and I liked playing with the test kit. She definitely would have just dumped in some powder and hoped for the best .... and she HATES bugs!

Hello neighbor! As others have said, you are looking pretty good! I agree with the approach recommended, and I’ll just add that the CYA test is a bit tricky so it’s best to make sure you have some practice with that one before you mess with it too much. 90 is definitely doable, so no need to worry if that number holds steady.

Reactions: AviatorBimmer
I'll let you in on a secret, back in Spring 2016, my wife came to me and said " I want to get a pool, I've always wanted one so we are getting one." I tried every line in the "Guide to get out of buying something you don't want: Wife edition". I was laying all the excuses out in protest, I had a bunch of well thought out logical reasons not to get a pool. I wasn't doing any maintenance-that was her job, she had to take care of it, brush it, chemicals, net out all the gross stuff including the skimmer. Water risks... Someone was gonna die of course. blah, blah. But she wasn't taking NO for an answer, Obviously we all know who "won" that debate... Looking back, I should have just agreed from the start and been able to enjoy the pool a month earlier than we did.. We bought one, had it installed and then I found this Forum. It's the best thing that could have happened! No lie. But I willingly and graciously accepted the responsibility since I wanted it clean, low cost, and I liked playing with the test kit. She definitely would have just dumped in some powder and hoped for the best .... and she HATES bugs!

LOL Those are battles that will never be won! I'm glad you both are enjoying it and we both hate bugs too! Thank God our's is screened in.

Reactions: Teald024
Hello neighbor! As others have said, you are looking pretty good! I agree with the approach recommended, and I’ll just add that the CYA test is a bit tricky so it’s best to make sure you have some practice with that one before you mess with it too much. 90 is definitely doable, so no need to worry if that number holds steady.

Hello neighbor! lol

I agree, of all the tests, I want to say the CYA test was the trickiest, because I could very well see the slightest hint of the black dot and I was afraid to add more solution 🤣 I guess when they say until you no longer see it, they really mean it.

Here’s the best way to nail that test. Do outside on a sunny day, sun behind you so you are looking at your own shadow. Pour to first line in tube, quickly glance in. See dot? Pour to second line in tube, quickly glance in. See dot? Pour to third line in tube, and so on.

Where the dot disappears AT A GLANCE is your CYA. If you stare, you are going to trick your mind into seeing the dot!

Cloudy day? Forget it. Wait for a sunny day.

Here’s the best way to nail that test. Do outside on a sunny day, sun behind you so you are looking at your own shadow. Pour to first line in tube, quickly glance in. See dot? Pour to second line in tube, quickly glance in. See dot? Pour to third line in tube, and so on.

Where the dot disappears AT A GLANCE is your CYA. If you stare, you are going to trick your mind into seeing the dot!

Cloudy day? Forget it. Wait for a sunny day.

🤔 Interesting technique lol I will definitely try that one out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.