My turn to replace a single speed pump...

Jameso78

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Sep 18, 2020
North Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hi all, it s been a while since I've posted, my pool/heater/spa, have been rocking along nicely for a couple years now...until yesterday... my ~10 year old main pool/spa pump appears to have given up the ghost...it is a single speed , Hayward Ecoflo 2.7THP...which means now I get to convert to variable speed pump... here's the overview of my pool/spa - Pool built in 2006, 45K gal pool with spa, Compupool GRCJ14003 Salt cell, 2.7 THP Hayward pump(replaced Jandy stealth), Jandy DE filter, Jandy Laminars with Jandy 1.5 HP dedicated pump, Jandy LT400 LP heater, Aquapure with RS Link....I run my current pump 8 hrs a day, that keeps my chlorine level spot on between 2.5 - 3, pool looks great... given this back drop/setup with the Jandy system, what recommendations/advice would anyone have on replacement pump? I was leaning towards the Hayward Tristar W3SP3206VSP 2.7 HP pump, but man is it pricey!!!

thanks ...James

Yup pricey they all are. So here what I did about a year ago. You may want to check out INYOPools.com I did, and replaced / swapped out a 2 HP Hayward Super pump 2 with a 2.7 VS motor and never look back, the VS is a money saver on the power consumption. INYO POOLS with also provide the correct seal/gaskets and GOKIT you will need for a DIY job.
Its not all that quiet at full speed (fan noise), if your like me the only time you'll run at full speed is when using the spa/heater.

As Pete mentioned, the V-Green 2.7 HP VS Motor would be a good option if you don't mind DIY.

EDIT: You would also need V-Green Automation Adapter Kit and spare relays on AquaLink panel.

Last edited:
Reactions: borjis
As Pete mentioned, the V-Green 2.7 HP VS Motor would be a good option if you don't mind DIY.

EDIT: You would also need V-Green Automation Adapter Kit and spare relays on AquaLink panel.

Thanks Pete, I'll give it a look.... thanks for reference thread, a lot of good info there I can relate to with my Jandy control center and spa situation as well...is there a minimum RPM to use on the variable speed pumps relative to the salt cell? I was concerned about flow errors if the RPM is too low...

From the Hayward Aquarite SWG wiki below. Generally it's trial and error regarding the minimum RPM as each pool is different.

When using a variable speed pump it is recommended that the cell be plumbed in vertical position. By doing this the cell will fill even when the pump is running in a lower speed. If the cell is plumbed horizontally, and the pump is running in low speed, the cell will not fill completely with water, and cause it to read a false low reading.

I have been using a v green 2.7 for several seasons and am very satisifed....if the wet portion of your pump is in good shape consider this upgrade

Reactions: borjis
thanks Hootz...unfortunately, my wet portion has several worn out parts too, so I am replacing the whole assembly... going with the Waterway PD270, it has the V-green 2.7HP motor... it should arrive mid-week, I'll repost after I get it installed... thanks everyone for the input!

Reactions: Hootz
Pump is arriving today, hope to have it installed before sundown... after a lot of reading, my initial thought for setup is to something similar to what user dhy4b did with his, basically setting up the step 1&2 programs for daytime, and the step 3 program to be used with my spa in spa mode at full RPM speed...I do not have any extra relays in my cabinet to do anything with , so this seems like the best option for now.... any other thoughts?

thanks...James

Update...Pump is installed, had to do a few plumbing and base setting mods due to differences in the union connectors and different offsets between the old Hayward and new Waterway pumps... I have set steps 1&2 to cover my 7 hours of normal daily operation, with step 1 at highest speed and step 2 at 2600...Step 3 I've set at highest for evenings when I want to use the spa...will see how this works out for a few days, I have some catching up to do on chlorine production, it was idle for 6 days waiting for pump to arrive... I will say this pump is SOOOOOO much quieter than the Hayward was, thumbs up on that!!! I'll check back in next week...have a great Labor Day Weekend!!!

James

Reactions: Hootz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
James, My two cents, others may chime in, probably no need to run your pump at the higher end speeds. The great value of the VS is its ability to mix your water and chemicals and keep them at TFP recommended levels... WITH REDUCED energy consumption.

I do not have a SWG, but have learned by reading countless threads to find what the lowest speed RPM wise that keep's your FLOW
SWITCH operational and unit generating chlorine, and just in case your filter PSI increases add 200rpm to that RPM.
Every pool is different so most pools VS run at different RPM...most everyone is looking the most PUNCH FOR THEIR BUCK .

Pete

Reactions: Jameso78
Thanks Pete, I will be doing that in the coming next couple of weeks... given I have a holiday weekend coming up with guest, I wanted to get my chlorine levels back up since it sat idle for 6 days... I certainly will tinker with the speeds to see what works best for my set up though!

thanks...James

Update - I did some experimenting with speeds over the weekend...at 2000 RPM I still get no flow errors, but I did notice my 2 farthest returns from the pump were not circulating any water... I have 6 total returns, plus a beach bubbler and a return into my spa for the waterfall into the pool... I had to crank it back up to 2400 RPM to get them circulating... those 2 farthest returns are about ~85 feet from the pump/equipment pad... I am assuming I want water circulation on all of them when pump is running...thoughts or ideas?

thanks...James

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.