My pump just died and I have no idea what to change it with and I need your recommendations please

Rockstead

Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hayward Aqualogic P2 owner, I have the very bad luck of both my salt cell and pump dying.

A few years back I had put in a 1HP 2-Speed pump and the low speed was pretty useless, and I feel like maybe even high speed was a little underpowered but I’m not 100% sure.

What would you recommend I change it to? I’m in a cold climate so I only get about 3-4 months of pool time, and I have relatively cheap electricity.

Pool size 18x36 inground and 300 pound sand filter, 5 x returns, 2 x bottom drains, 1 x skimmer, and no water fall type things, Heat pump, equipment is installed maybe 8-10 feet from pool, piping I see coming out of equipment is 1.5”.

Attachments

• IMG_9474.jpeg
    IMG_9474.jpeg
    592.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Another issue with my pump is that on low speed it could not trigger the heat pump, and I wouldn’t feel pressure from all of the returns.
That's my beef with 2 speeds. Some people find that the low speed doesn't work for what they need and they then have a single speed pump because they only run high.

Get the largest VS pump you can afford from Hayward. Bigger pumps move more water at the same RPM. It's funny in a way because you buy a bigger pump to run it slower.

That's my beef with 2 speeds. Some people find that the low speed doesn't work for what they need and they then have a single speed pump because they only run high.

Get the largest VS pump you can afford from Hayward. Bigger pumps move more water at the same RPM. It's funny in a way because you buy a bigger pump to run it slower.

I have really affordable electricity rates, looking at the cost of VS Pumps, I’m not sure it makes much sense from a savings standpoint.

I know when I initially joined the forum years ago after having my first pool installed , first feedback was that the 2HP pump the pool store installed was way overkill.

I tried the 1HP 2-speed for many years and the low speed was pretty much useless for me.

So what’s the best performance / value option now given my configuration, a 1.5HP?

tried the 1HP 2-speed for many years and the low speed was pretty much useless for me.
That's the reason for the VS. You don't need the savings but you do need the performance. You can dial the VS pump to whatever RPM works best.

I'm not too familiar with Hayward automation, but take a look at these. It appears that some of them have automation panels that might be compatible with what you have.

These pumps are a fraction of the price of the name brands, so if your priority is to save on upfront costs, then they might work for you as long as you're willing to make compromises elsewhere..

I'm not too familiar with Hayward automation, but take a look at these. It appears that some of them have automation panels that might be compatible with what you have.

These pumps are a fraction of the price of the name brands, so if your priority is to save on upfront costs, then they might work for you as long as you're willing to make compromises elsewhere..

Unfortunately they aren’t readily available in my area, and if I did obtain one I’m sure I would have not much chance to get it serviced in my area.

In my experience and my limited swim season, I find I have had to change pumps every 5-7 years, I’m finding it hard to justify the cost of a Hayward VS, in addition to my cheap electricity.

I just need a recommendation based on my config, maybe 1.5HP is the right move, I’m not sure.

Do you have a bypass for the heat pump or does the water run through it all the time?

OK -- that creates significant pressure loss.
As you are in Canada, and not regulated by the USA DOE regulations on pool pumps, a 1.5 or 2 hp two speed would be your best bet. I would suspect the 1.5 hp would be sufficient. As long as you keep the pool water chemistry correct and do not allow algae to live in the pool water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK -- that creates significant pressure loss.
As you are in Canada, and not regulated by the USA DOE regulations on pool pumps, a 1.5 or 2 hp two speed would be your best bet. I would suspect the 1.5 hp would be sufficient. As long as you keep the pool water chemistry correct and do not allow algae to live in the pool water.
If I only find a 2HP single speed locally , is it overkill?

I may have found a private seller selling a new 1.5HP but it wouldn’t have a warranty.

Just because of noise I would not get a single speed. You may as well get a 1 hp if single speed.
What about your impeller? When you switched from 2 hp to 1 hp, did you get an entire new pump or just motor?

Just because of noise I would not get a single speed. You may as well get a 1 hp if single speed.
What about your impeller? When you switched from 2 hp to 1 hp, did you get an entire new pump or just motor?
I got an entirely new pump at the time.

So I may have found a lead on a local guy that sells rebuilt pool pumps when you give him your defective one.

He even seems to have a Hayward 1.5HP 2-speed pump, would the low speed on a 1.5HP be higher HP than the low speed on a 1HP 2-speed?

He even seems to have a Hayward 1.5HP 2-speed pump, would the low speed on a 1.5HP be higher HP than the low speed on a 1HP 2-speed?
Yes. Low speed is simply 1725 rpm. So the flow from the 1.5 hp pump at 1725 rpm is greater than the 1 hp at 1725 rpm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.