My proposal, feedback appreciated

mummer43

Jul 31, 2016
Lehigh Valley, PA
My wife and I recently built a new home and have decided we want a pool. We have two acres and have plenty of room for a nice size pool. We originally wanted a rectangle with an auto cover, but I think we have changed our mind on that. We do have a bit of a challenge with placement. We have a covered porch off the back of the house and there is a fireplace at the end of it. Depending on placement of the pool, we would be entering from behind the fireplace, which is not ideal. So, we have decided to forgo the auto cover and do an L shaped pool with a sun shelf on the side. This would allow us the enter from the side and put the main patio on the side rather than behind the fireplace. I've included a couple photos to give you an idea of what I'm dealing with. Please don't judge my grass, I'm working on it.

We have been working with a pool builder and he has given us a proposal. This is for a rectangle with an auto cover, so the proposal will change. I'd like to get your opinions on the overall quote. What do you think of the equipment he spec'd? He listed a gas heater, and we want a heat hybrid heater. A heat pump for every day use and a gas heater for the spa. I'm not sure why he omitted that.

Here are the specs:

Pool Shell:

-Reinforced #4 Steel Frame Installed on 12” Center
-Six Bar Reinforced Bond Beam For Freeze Protection Through Out Pool Beam
-Hydro-Static Relief System With Crushed Stone Bedding
-Electrical Bonding of Shell and Equipment
-Gunite Concrete Pool Shell Cured to 4000 psi
-Lifetime Structural Warranty on Pool Shell
-Four Shallow End Steps with Bench
-Deep End Walk Out Love Seat
-6” Frost Proof Tile Band (Over 100 Standard Selections)
-Choice Of Paver Brick or Cantilever Coping

Pool Plumbing-Heating-Cleaning

-Hydro-Flow Plumbing System Includes 2” Rigid Schedule 40 PVC
-Three In-Floor Thermal Pool Returns
-VGB Certified Double Safety Main Drain With 2.5” Intake Plumbing
-Hayward Tri-Star Variable Speed Main Pump
-Choice Of Hayward Swim-Clear Cartridge Filter or Pro-Grid DE Filter
Fusion Mineral Cartridge
-Hayward Aqua-Rite Salt Chlorinator and Start-Up Salt Charge
-Hayward Aqua Vac 500 Auto Cleaner
-3 Year Extended Equipment Warranty**

Lighting:

(2) Hayward Universal Color Logic LED Lights
(1) Hayward Universal Color Logic Accent LED Lights

Electric:

-30 Amp Mounted Sub-Panel , Time Clock , 80’ Home Run Conduit and Electric Hookups to All
Accessories

Final Touches:

-Water Delivery and Fill
-Starter Chemical Kit
-Pool Cleaning Equipment and Test Kit
-Pool Start-Up and SPCP Pool School Tutorial
-First 15 Concierge Service****
-Complimentary Pool Opening and Closing ***

Project Specifics (Included)

-800’ Custom Rectangle includes
-120’ Sq. Ft Sun Shelf with Full Width Steps
-Coverstar Encapsulated Track Auto Cover
-50’ Square Foot Raised Spa (18” Stone Faced)
-Techo Bloc York Spa Coping-Discuss*Project Specifics (Included)
-400’000 BTU Fuel Heater, Includes 50’ Gas Hookup
-Omni Logic Pool-Spa-Backyard Control-Sense & Dispense PH Control
-Techo Bloc York Pool Coping (Onyx)
-1138’ Stamped Concrete (per design) +/-$12.50 pf
-250’ of 60” Aluminum Fence with (3) Gates (per design)
+/-$31.00pf

Drop the mineral thing. You do not want that anywhere near a pool.

Be sure the SWCG is rated for at least 2X your pool volume.

The sense and dispense thing for pH is problematic. The probes get out of calibration and fail. If you really think you need automated pH control just use a Stenner system and add later.

No automation. Probably not needed.

The bling will be brought on by others!!

Have fun --

As mentioned, we would like an L shaped pool so that we can enter on the side. These photos have become our inspiration. There is way more decking than we need but this is the concept that we would like to go with. We originally wanted a 20 x 40 rectangle. Would it be reasonable to keep those dimensions for the main part of the pool and then just add the sun shelf on the side?

You are showing a VS pump. That is the best thing for lower electricity consumption.

The heater is not energy efficient by nature. But necessary for a SPA.

What is the pool cleaner? A robot is the most energy efficient as you do not need to run the pump.

You are showing a VS pump. That is the best thing for lower electricity consumption.

The heater is not energy efficient by nature. But necessary for a SPA.

What is the pool cleaner? A robot is the most energy efficient as you do not need to run the pump.

The cleaner is a Hayward Aquavac 5000. I’ve been reading about the Dolphin robots and they seem to be very popular.

I think you have hit on a great design for the pool! I like your thinking and that inspiration pic/pool is so pretty!

BUT...................Is that a kid's play thing? Do you have young ones? My worry is you will not be able to sit on the patio and see the kids in the pool. I just wanted to point this out to give you something to think about and be aware of...............this is the Momma coming out. I am willing to bet it will not be a real issue but wanted to bring it up just in case you have not thought about it.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice to see so many PA guys/gals on here now! Looks like a Scott P. build? :)

Specs look pretty good. If there is any chance of adding anything else on that electric run later on, you might want to consider up sizing the line - additional pumps, electric heater, tools, etc.

Nice to see so many PA guys/gals on here now! Looks like a Scott P. build? :)

Specs look pretty good. If there is any chance of adding anything else on that electric run later on, you might want to consider up sizing the line - additional pumps, electric heater, tools, etc.

You are correct, Scott's a great guy and we're glad we have chosen him. I can't think of anything we'd upgrade to later but you never know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.