Dec 27, 2023
Ft. Worth, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi TFP Friends,

I’m looking for advise on what can be done to correct this negligent error. Long story short my builder sucks, it’s unreal how terrible this build has gone. They shot the shotcrete 6inches higher than my existing porch patio. How that happened, idk? My pool design is flush with the ground not partially raised. Can this be fixed to be flush and not cause runoff issues for the pool or house?DE241B2F-8782-4C29-9CFB-7252A5CE805D.jpeg

Im torn between trying to work with him or finding a new contractor. I am leaning towards finding a new contractor but hate to bring someone in to fix his mistake . I’m fearful of the additional costs it’s going to add to the project.

Attachments

• B15CAA15-6B47-49E0-8D83-1602D412670A.jpeg
    B15CAA15-6B47-49E0-8D83-1602D412670A.jpeg
    693.5 KB · Views: 65
I think you have to roll with those type of problems that happen during construction. Change your design and expectations to adapt to the situation.

I don't see how the bond beam can be cut down by six inches without rippling through other areas of your pool such as water depth, skimmer position, waterline tile size, etc.

Some grading and drains to keep water from running off towards the house can be considered.

A pool flush with the ground creates its own issues of runoff and dirt directly into the pool. The pool water will be better being elevated from ground runoff.

@AQUA~HOLICS what do you think?

I wouldnt mess with the bond beam.

Do you have a step down from your back door to the existing patio? If you have enough room, could they add a topper to your patio to raise the height to be level with the bond beam (plus the height of the coping)? Otherwise, I would guess you will need to figure out a step somewhere that is least impactful.

My thoughts are these:
-do you have the WATER depth you want? Measure from the bottom of the pool to the middle of the skimmer opening.

If you have the water depth you want then roll with it. They can adjust the ground around the pool and house to keep them safe from water.

Adjusting to issues that arise is not a problem for me. I just wish this was discussed earlier than now. I feel like he was hoping I wouldn’t notice and didn’t bring it up. Even when I asked several times about it being flush, I was assured yes it will be. It’s frustrating to say the least.

That’s an interesting point about runoff issues, I definitely don’t want that. Actually how often is it an issue?

As far as a step on existing patio, I do have a small one at door leading out to patio. It’s not very high though. I’ll talk to PB about that as a work around.

KitKat your thoughts are on par, as usual. I checked the depth and it’s accurate, thank God. I’m going to talk with PB hoping we can come up with something that makes me happier with what I’m seeing.

That’s an interesting point about runoff issues, I definitely don’t want that. Actually how often is it an issue?

How often do you get big storms?

We see threads from folks who have pools full of mud due to storm runoff into the pool.

Cutting into the top of the Bond Beam would not be advisable, if the pool shell was built to standard requirements the top is most likely 12” thick with possibly 5 rows of horizontal rebar.

As a side note, it is actually better to be built higher than required than lower due to water runoff.
I understand that 6” is a lot to over come especially if the coping adds possibly 2” more. Not only should the PB have checked the elevation but the the pre-Shotcrete inspection by the city inspector should have checked this.

What is the distance between the outside of the BB and the house?

I don't see it as an issue.

The house is plenty high enough. Leave a small air gap before the patio starts at the house at whatever height it needs to be. Put a 4 inch drain on the house side. It looks like the front yard is lower so you shouldn't have to go far to catch the downhill. Or tie it into whatever current drain system you have if you have one.

Screenshot_20240420_073257_Chrome.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone for your comments, I don't think this will as big of an issue as I thought. I had another contractor come out today for a quote to take over the build. During his visit he measured the height of bond beam and patio and said that it's okay, no issue there. However, we discovered there are some issues with my city building permit. Apparently one was never issued because of the lack of plan drawings. Apparently the reviewer wanted more detail drawings than what was submitted. They reached out to PB but never heard back so the permit never moved. Its just been sitting there since December 😞. I called PB to ask if he was aware and of course he said no. He thought he'd received an approval. So now I have to try to get the initial permit in place and somehow get a retrospective belly bond inspection done then a decking. I don't know how or if that is even possible but I have to try. If I want anyone legit to pick up the job this has to be done and also to avoid tax and insurance issues it needs to be done correctly. Lesson learned trust, but verify EVERYTHING.

• Sad
Reactions: kimkats
and yes KimKats i do have it in writing. It's not in the contract but I have texts discussing it where he clearly stated that there wouldn't be any runoff issues and decking would be flush. He stated that drains would be installed to direct the water flow.

Reactions: kimkats
Does anyone know how I should go about having a belly bond steel inspection done retrospectively? Apparently the permit for my build is on hold with the city and was never issued because they wanted more plan drawings. PB says this inspection was done but I don’t believe that because he never received a permit. I spoke with the city earlier this week to myself to confirm this myself. PB is saying he is getting a Texas 811 form from Oncor to provide to the city but I’m not holding my breath. I want to start digging out of this hole enough to where another contractor can pick up with having to deal with it.