My pool makeover

Flboy44

Jan 30, 2022
Central Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
I am wanting to document my journey in this project!
Originally installed in 1998, time to update! Replacing pump with a vs unit, going back to a SWG system, and, (controversial) adding a cyclone pre filter!
The original pad morphed into this present setup! Mostly to my learning curve, and a design flaw with the electrical panel #1 placement!
Original pad had an inadequate bump de filter, that I insisted on, directly in front of the panel #1! It was so close, the panel couldn’t be fully opened!
From that point on, the monster grew at my hands!
I added a heat pump and solar, both gone, never to return! In a quest to simplify plumbing, I moved the filter to the left and raised the return line! God knows you need to avoid 90 couplings!
As you can see, the remains of the dead salt/copper cells still remain. And the heater loop! A side story. Traveled for a living. The morning of a month long trip, walked out and found water pouring out of the heat pump! Went through my corpse pile of PVC do overs and rigged the closed loop!
To be continued!
Still learning on posting photos!

PHOTO:
1- Electrical panel
2- Heat pump sub panel
3- Pump timer
4- Air switch, for an original dual speed pump
5- A 240/120v relay used to control a spa blower.

Attachments

• IMG_4950.jpeg
    IMG_4950.jpeg
    696.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Takeaways, or lessons learned:
Glue-
I used the blue Wet or Dry and purple primer. I work in a methodical, fully calculated manner-SLOW! This characteristic helped make me highly successful as an IBM engineer (30years)! But the blue glue really didn’t care! It set far too quickly for me to work! I should have stepped back and returned to my medium glue, that I normally use because of it‘s extra set time! I have a couple slow drips to be addressed, fortunately none in critical spots!

Pursuit of meaningless numbers in a pressure flow design-
Yes, the use of sweep 90’s is unnecessary! Especially at the flow rate I will be running my pump 99% of the time! But to an engineering background, 0.85 and 0.91 are worlds apart! And, yes, those are absolutely pressure rated fittings! I was actually able to get them at the same cost of regular 90’s! From, Zoro!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.