My pool light fixture rusted over winter, how do I resolve it?

Remove the bulb and then turn the the light "ON" at the switch. Does it still trip the GFCI? If so you need a new light. If not, get any incandescent light, put it into the fixture, and see if it will light. If it will without tripping the GFCI the fixture is probably OK.

You had given me good advice here, but I skipped a step. I had removed the bad bulb, changed the seal, and replaced with an incandescent and it worked for 1 week but some tripping issue on my GFCI.

I ordered a replacement bulb in case it was faulty, but I’ll go back to the step where you said to test without a bulb plugged in, but I’m assuming it will work if it changing the bulb worked for 1 week.

I’ll check the fixture for any water penetration, but I didn’t see any way I had previously taken it out.

Show us pics of the outlet that trips.

Replace the GFCI outlet. They wear out after a few years outside and get corrosion in them that causes early trips. I need to replace my outdoor GFCI outlets every few years.

You should replace it with a Weather Resistant rated GFCI outlet that is labeled WR on the face.

Here’s an up close of the GFCI that trips.

Attachments

• IMG_9579.jpeg
    IMG_9579.jpeg
    420.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9578.jpeg
    IMG_9578.jpeg
    476.6 KB · Views: 2
There is clearly water in the light.

I would replace the light and the GFCI.

full

Your problem is not the bulb but the seal since it let water in.

With the rust and water inside the entire fixture needs to be replaced.

Reactions: 1poolman1
You had given me good advice here, but I skipped a step. I had removed the bad bulb, changed the seal, and replaced with an incandescent and it worked for 1 week but some tripping issue on my GFCI.

I ordered a replacement bulb in case it was faulty, but I’ll go back to the step where you said to test without a bulb plugged in, but I’m assuming it will work if it changing the bulb worked for 1 week.

I’ll check the fixture for any water penetration, but I didn’t see any way I had previously taken it out.
An incandescent bulb won't cause a GFCI to trip. A light that trips the GFCI, even occasionally, needs to be replaced. You'll chase your tail if you don't.

There is clearly water in the light.

I would replace the light and the GFCI.

full
I wish I would have taken the after pictures for you, it cleaned up really nice, the photo made it look dramatic but it was very much on the surface and the inside was dry!

I’m not ruling it out, I’ll take it out and check again.

If I had to replace it, what would you recommend I replace it with? Just another Amerlite fixture or something else?

Anytime a pool light has had water in it, it is suspect and should be replaced. The cause of the GFCI trip can be at the back of the light where the cord enters, it could be in the cord itself, or the socket.

A new Amerilite will give you many options of replacement bulbs if you want to go the LED route, but won't need replacing when the LED's go bad like all the newer, non-serviceable ones. Or you stay with the original bulb.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.