My pool is open! ETA: HELP! what is on my walls?? Test results added

So what value are you setting in PoolMath?
And are you hitting your expected targets?

I use 12,000. I guess I feel like I’m hitting it with pH but I don’t measure the acid because I don’t want to pour it twice. So that’s hard to confirm. I don’t add much bleach since I have an SWG. When I did a few days ago it was off but I had the wrong concentration set. So. I’m not sure! Oh salt. I was at 1800 and set goal to 3200 it said to add 141 lbs. I added 160 lbs and I’m at 3600 now.

Acid scares me. I wear gloves, a mask and sunglasses. I searched old threads on adding muriatic acid and it seemed like it was 50/50 in people that measure and people that pour right in.
That's understandable. Good job still using the TFP method!
Just try to stay upwind of the fumes and don't spill it on anything :) By measuring it out, you'll find out it's not as scary as it seems.

We use to pour the stuff all over the kennels at a place I worked at years ago! (for cleaning), No we didn't have proper PPE, lol

I haven’t had any issues yet getting too low. My pH runs high so I feel like I can’t add too much. And I try to estimate low so I can add more if necessary.

You are taking a lot more care with the acid than I do! Just pour slowly, don’t inhale fumes, and you’ll be fine.

Hey Em, saw your post in another thread about your water still freezing, and wondering if that could affect your CYA test. It sure can... you need to let your water sample come to room temp (at least 70 degrees) before testing.

But how cold is the water, really? You guys were just jumping in there yesterday!

Hey Em, saw your post in another thread about your water still freezing, and wondering if that could affect your CYA test. It sure can... you need to let your water sample come to room temp (at least 70 degrees) before testing.

But how cold is the water, really? You guys were just jumping in there yesterday!

No, my water is 80 degrees now. I meant that the first time I tested CYA my water was probably under 60 degrees.

Ah! I’m guessing you’ve tested CYA again with the warmer water?

Awfully glad y’all weren’t leaping into 60 degree water!

Ah! I’m guessing you’ve tested CYA again with the warmer water?

Awfully glad y’all weren’t leaping into 60 degree water!

yeah my last test was warm water and still only 30. I added the rest of my CYA today, but I'm guessing it won't increase too much. I'll have to get more tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok my CYA is still 30 at the most. Pool Math says to add 48 oz to get it to 60, so is that 3 lbs of CYA? I added 1.75 lbs with a change from 20-30.

CYA takes some time to dissolve and then register on the test. Keep adding about 2lbs at a time and be patient...

this is maddening. I added 1.75lbs yesterday and today my CYA is showing somewhere between 30-40. I just added another 1.75 lbs which will be more than Pool school suggested to get me to 60. Thing is, I leave tomorrow for a week.

this is maddening. I added 1.75lbs yesterday and today my CYA is showing somewhere between 30-40. I just added another 1.75 lbs which will be more than Pool school suggested to get me to 60. Thing is, I leave tomorrow for a week.

CYA takes at least 24hrs+ to fully disperse and show up in test and if your water is cold, the test might show (read) that you have less then you actually do :/

CYA takes at least 24hrs+ to fully disperse and show up in test and if your water is cold, the test might show (read) that you have less then you actually do :/

yes I know, my water is warm, near 80 and I always test the folllowing day after adding. I am going to test later today, as that is the best I can do. I can try to test tomorrow before I go to the airport, but I dont know if sun will be out at 7 am. and I won't have CYA to add anyway. but Pool Math said that 3 lbs of CYA would get me to 60, and I added 3.25 lbs as I think higher than 60 is ideal anyway. plus my pool volume is iffy.

yes I know, my water is warm, near 80 and I always test the folllowing day after adding. I am going to test later today, as that is the best I can do. I can try to test tomorrow before I go to the airport, but I dont know if sun will be out at 7 am. and I won't have CYA to add anyway. but Pool Math said that 3 lbs of CYA would get me to 60, and I added 3.25 lbs as I think higher than 60 is ideal anyway. plus my pool volume is iffy.

No problem, just double checking! :) I agree, it's frustrating when trying to figure CYA!

Finally got my CYA to 80. I think I’m totally balanced now. Still adding MA more frequently than I’d like but hopefully my TA decreases this summer. On Sunday we had our first party and this is the most people we’ve had in our pool!

239fb6f25d53cacf6702800485ffc706.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.