My pool is 4 to 6 inches off level. Read some things on here but I have a question about it.

MattFu

Jun 30, 2019
Canada

So this is the pool I bought. I just set it up on the grass because I'm taking it down in a couple of months. Before I put it up I read that it shouldn't be more than 2.5 inches unleveled and as the water was filling, that's what it seemed to be. Now after it's been filled, it's about 4-6 unleveled.

We live on a tight budget and I understand it's cheaper to refill a pool, than someone getting hurt or the pool breaking and possibly flooding the basement.

My main question is, with this kind of pool and it really being not that big at all(only 2,417 gallons with dimensions of 12' L x 12' W x 3.2',) would the off level be ok for the 2 months or so that it will be up? It bothers me a bit but I feel like with the pool being small enough that it wouldn't matter. Don't care about it damaging the pool, as I'll be buying a bigger one next summer. I figured the worst case scenario would be it breaks the liner on one end and whoever is in it, would just slide out onto the grass.

It does have the steel legs so that is what I'm thinking may be the biggest problem. I feel like it shouldn't break through the liner but I don't know a Dang thing about pools.

Also remember, this is just a kids pool and it's not one of those real big sized pools. That's why I was wondering if the off level wouldn't make a difference in a pool like this, compared to those real heavy duty pools.

17,630lbs of water. How many of those lbs are leaning to the one side? Enough to rip the liner?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello and Welcome to TFP!! Congrats on the new pool. In my honest opinion, you should drain and correct the level issue. The huge 4-6" out of level will put quite a bit of strain on the rails.

We recommend removing soil from the high side to make it level. With your seasonal temporary pool you could probably get away with adding sand to level the area for this season. Don't just add under the legs. Wet and compact as you fill it in. Put pavers under the legs as extra support.

Hello and Welcome to TFP!! Congrats on the new pool. In my honest opinion, you should drain and correct the level issue. The huge 4-6" out of level will put quite a bit of strain on the rails.

We recommend removing soil from the high side to make it level. With your seasonal temporary pool you could probably get away with adding sand to level the area for this season. Don't just add under the legs. Wet and compact as you fill it in. Put pavers under the legs as extra support.
There is literally no way to level it with the water still in the pool? Dig a little under the liner or legs of the poles on the other side? I can get a bit under the liner because of how the pool is made. Not sure if any of this is a good idea now that I reread it but again, what do I know.

The pool is in an un safe condition. Please drain and level the area for the pool. Follow the installation instructions. Typical standard is the pool needs to be within 1" of level.

Sorry, but I have to echo the others. You need to drain the pool, level your area (dig down to the low point, don't fill to the high point), make sure it's level within 1" all the way around, then set it back up.

Any time you talk about tens of thousands of gallons of water, you're talking about a natural force no human can stand up to. Sure, a person caught in this flood will just slide out on the grass, but along the way they could be smashed into a tree, a fence, a building, a car. It's not a risk I'd be willing to take.

Sorry, but I have to echo the others. You need to drain the pool, level your area (dig down to the low point, don't fill to the high point), make sure it's level within 1" all the way around, then set it back up.

Any time you talk about tens of thousands of gallons of water, you're talking about a natural force no human can stand up to. Sure, a person caught in this flood will just slide out on the grass, but along the way they could be smashed into a tree, a fence, a building, a car. It's not a risk I'd be willing to take.
I understand. Although, there's nothing in the way of the side they would slide out of. It's a long yard and they have over 100 feet to slide until they hit another yard so that isn't a concern.

I'm going to use it tomorrow and call a pool place as well and see if they can come by to drain it, level it out and put something underneath it.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Last edited:
17,630lbs of water. How many of those lbs are leaning to the one side? Enough to rip the liner?
Thank you.

It depends. When the water is happy and still, just a fraction of that 8+ tons of water is desperately trying to get out of your pool. But if you get the water moving by splashing around, it can generate enormous forces against the sidewalls.

Aim for absolutely level in your site prep, because as you’ve experienced, there will be some uneven settling.

It depends. When the water is happy and still, just a fraction of that 8+ tons of water is desperately trying to get out of your pool. But if you get the water moving by splashing around, it can generate enormous forces against the sidewalls.

Aim for absolutely level in your site prep, because as you’ve experienced, there will be some uneven settling.
I liked it unleveled actually because of my younger kids. It would go under their necks so it seemed like it would've been perfect. Like a shallow and deep end. Now I learnt all of this and it bothers me. Part of me wants to take the chance for 2 months and hope for the best but I know I shouldn't do that. I'll call the pool place and see if they can help he out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.