My pool guy quit because I won’t take out my pecan tree

Sep 22, 2022
Calofornia
Hello! New here so my apologies if this question is in the wrong place.

We purchased a home 1 year ago with an in ground pool built 10 years ago. Beautiful, simple pool, wouldn’t change a thing.

However, there is a pecan tree located approximately 15 feet from the edge of the pool. We loved the mature trees on the property and had no thoughts of taking them out but the falling pecans are causing damage to the pool and surrounding area and making it very difficult to maintain. Last Friday, my pool maintenance crew quit on us and said the tree goes or they quit. We offered more money for the extra time our pool needs this time of year but he did not accept. We let him go, but now I’m stuck finding someone to help us and so far have had no luck.

The pecans are a big issue, we have trimmed the tree, attempted to keep the squirrels who eat the nuts and drop the shellings all around the pool, but nothing is helping. At this point I'm ready to cut the tree down because it is literally a daily chore to keep the pool and surrounding area clean and debri free. Not to mention it is unswimable because of the level of chemicals in the water to keep the pecans from staining the pool are toxic.

Is there anyone that has had any success managing a pecan tree near a pool or is this just a fight I am going to lose? Any ideas…thoughts?

I don't have a pecan tree but I do have a flowering pear tree that is a real mess to contend with in the spring and early summer. We have an autocover on our pool which helps keep out the majority of tree junk. I think you need to decide how much you value that tree and if you do decide to keep it, maybe find a way to cover the pool to protect it. Pool water needs to be properly balanced and maintained and if you can't do that as a result of the tree, you need to find a better solution. I would probably remove the tree and replant with something that's more pool friendly but that's just my 2 cents :) Hopefully others with Pecan trees can enlighten you.

Reactions: Aaron and Trish
Hey A-a-T and Welcome !!!!

The path of least resistance is a solar cover for $150 (ish). They are a PITA in their own right, but will collect almost anything that falls/blows in the pool footprint in the early spring and fall. They can be swept to a corner to easily scoop the droppings off for disposal.

I have no experience with pecans but I lived on a heavily treed property with red and white oaks, which dropped plenty of their own nuisances which could also stain surfaces.

Where are you in CA ? If you're far enough north to close the pool, you could also just deploy your winter cover for a few weeks when needed and keep the pool running under it.

I don't think a solar cover will solve your problem. The pecan mess will just sit on top of the cover and make a concentrated soup. I think you are overthinking this one. I think the path of least resistance is to just bite the bullet and cut down the tree. You can always plant a new one somewhere else in your yard if it will make you feel better. This is going to continue to be an issue for you and/or whomever you get to maintain your pool. Just my .02

because it is literally a daily chore to keep the pool and surrounding area clean and debri free.
Aaron,

Now you know why your pool guy quit. :)

Trees in general do not do well when close to a pool and pecan trees are the worst.

I'd cut the tree down and start enjoying your pool instead of letting it work you to death.

Thanks,

Jim R.

However, there is a pecan tree located approximately 15 feet from the edge of the pool. We loved the mature trees on the property and had no thoughts of taking them out but the falling pecans are causing damage to the pool and surrounding area and making it very difficult to maintain.
Depending on your budget and property, could you physically move the pecan tree to a new location, thereby preserving the tree and reducing the issue with your pool. I grew up up with many pecan trees and enjoyed picking them as a kid and still enjoy pecans till this day - just glad I do not have to go pick them anymore.

Probably should do some investigation into where your pool plumbing is buried so there is no possible damage if you elect to move the pecan tree.

I hate the idea of cutting down the tree. Are there any orchards/pecan farmers around you?

They typically have tree shakers, which basically shake the Crud out of the tree and make whatever fruit/nut fall to the ground to be collected. If they did that once a year, then you could keep the tree and enjoy your pool. Heck, if it has enough pecans, they may even do it for free.

Pecan trees are messy - they are best located in an area away from anything you don’t want to turn black (like way out in the yard).
I have seen cars & other objects ruined by them.
The Temporary solution is a cover & daily clean up to prevent organic staining.
The long term solution is to remove the tree.
Maintaining high target 🎯 fc or above should assist in helping combat the organic load from the debris from the tree as well as any other debris. FC/CYA Levels - (fc anywhere between minimum & slam level for your cya is safe to swim in so long as you can see the bottom of the pool for swimmer safety.)
As well as maintaining all other recommended levels

Having a proper test kit is the 1st step to ensuring this
Test Kits Compared
& Phasing out the Pool Guy - Further Reading

Agree with the sentiments above and suggest you just have the tree removed. As you can see, the above ground mess is bad. But what you don’t see is the below ground danger - those pecan roots are going to make a bee line straight for your pool, if they haven’t already, and when the conditions are right, they are going to damage your pool in search of water.

We had a mesquite tree (desert location here) near our pool. It was an on-going nightmare to keep the pool clean. The happiest day of my pool care life was when I took a chainsaw to that tree and got rid of it. My daily pool care labor dropped by 90% Best decision ever right behind having an SWG chlorinated pool.

Not to mention it is unswimable because of the level of chemicals in the water to keep the pecans from staining the pool are toxic.

Do you know your chlorine levels? The old school way of thinking of chlorine is levels of FC of 1-4 and anything above that will melt your skin. The problem is that was before CYA was added to pools (beginning in the 1960's). CYA acts as a buffer and you can (and should) run your chlorine higher.

If you want more info, look at the FC/CYA chart in my signature. It has minimums, target ranges, and then the SLAM level. It is safe to swim as long as your FC is under the SLAM level, which is much higher than people realize.

Long story short, I doubt the pool is unswimmable and toxic as you describe. The tree may be a PITA, but it shouldn't prevent you from using your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you know your chlorine levels? The old school way of thinking of chlorine is levels of FC of 1-4 and anything above that will melt your skin. The problem is that was before CYA was added to pools (beginning in the 1960's). CYA acts as a buffer and you can (and should) run your chlorine higher.

If you want more info, look at the FC/CYA chart in my signature. It has minimums, target ranges, and then the SLAM level. It is safe to swim as long as your FC is under the SLAM level, which is much higher than people realize.

Long story short, I doubt the pool is unswimmable and toxic as you describe. The tree may be a PITA, but it shouldn't prevent you from using your pool.
Actually this was very helpful! We do have a test kit and we will see what we can learn using your chart!

Depending on your budget and property, could you physically move the pecan tree to a new location, thereby preserving the tree and reducing the issue with your pool. I grew up up with many pecan trees and enjoyed picking them as a kid and still enjoy pecans till this day - just glad I do not have to go pick them anymore.

Probably should do some investigation into where your pool plumbing is buried so there is no possible damage if you elect to move the pecan tree.
Unfortunately this tree has been here longer than the house. It is very mature. I hate the idea of cutting it but I am also miserable cleaning up after it. We have three others on our property but all located over grass and nowhere near the house or sidewalks.

Aaron,

Now you know why your pool guy quit. :)

Trees in general do not do well when close to a pool and pecan trees are the worst.

I'd cut the tree down and start enjoying your pool instead of letting it work you to death.

Thanks,

Jim R.
You are exactly correct sir! Haha! We did offer to pay a hefty fee during this season but even that wasn’t enough. I guess that is my answer…it’s that bad.

I think you are right…this tree may just have to go.

Thank you for your response.

Hey A-a-T and Welcome !!!!

The path of least resistance is a solar cover for $150 (ish). They are a PITA in their own right, but will collect almost anything that falls/blows in the pool footprint in the early spring and fall. They can be swept to a corner to easily scoop the droppings off for disposal.

I have no experience with pecans but I lived on a heavily treed property with red and white oaks, which dropped plenty of their own nuisances which could also stain surfaces.

Where are you in CA ? If you're far enough north to close the pool, you could also just deploy your winter cover for a few weeks when needed and keep the pool running under it.
We have been considering this. Even to just cover it during this season might help. Do you know of any that are decent? It seems at this point it could be the cheapest option and cutting it down is far more than a pool cover.

Agree with the sentiments above and suggest you just have the tree removed. As you can see, the above ground mess is bad. But what you don’t see is the below ground danger - those pecan roots are going to make a bee line straight for your pool, if they haven’t already, and when the conditions are right, they are going to damage your pool in search of water.

We had a mesquite tree (desert location here) near our pool. It was an on-going nightmare to keep the pool clean. The happiest day of my pool care life was when I took a chainsaw to that tree and got rid of it. My daily pool care labor dropped by 90% Best decision ever right behind having an SWG chlorinated pool.
I’m thinking this too. I hope to find the same joy you did when we can get someone here with a chainsaw!! Until then…I’ll be looking for cheap pool cover to survive the season.

Do your skimmers do a good job of removing surface debris? Do you have a robot for cleaning the pool floor?

I live on 3.5 acres with 15 old pecans, crape myrtles and extremely large live oak and red oak trees. I understand leaves and tree debris probably as well as anyone.

Once I fired my pool service, bought a good robot, and figured out how to properly skim (24/7 pump run, closing main drain, etc), I gotta say, it’s totally manageable.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Reggie,

But are your pecan trees 15' away from your pool??

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yes - but don’t worry, there’s three crape myrtles in front of it surrounding one corner of the pool! Also a giant hackberry my arborist claims is the largest he’s ever seen that dumps on the pool deck as well. :rolleyes:

We have a comical amount of trees and I have two times of the year I refer to as leaf Armageddon. But I’ve found a way to make it work with daily emptying of the robot and managing the skimmer baskets.

I feel your pain. I removed a 20' tall Sumac tree that was 2' from my pool, and just removed 15 more pines that are 80-100' tall that were all within 10-30' of my pool. Yes, it sucks removing trees, but the amount of time I spent cleaning up from the messes they made on the patio and in the pool, man it was totally worth it. Not to mention, ROOTS -- I was very worried about the Sumac causing problems with the in-floor Caretaker system in the ground because those 8 pipes (for each zone) all ran very close to the 20' Sumac that was just two feet away from the pool. It's a tough call but... I still have lots of other Pines and other Sumacs and Arborvities to keep privacy and scenery, for me it, the removal was well worth it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.