newbie_pool

Oct 30, 2013
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My pump stops running when it’s in Auto mode although everything seems to be up when I check my Easy Touch. I tried to reset with the breaker and it eventually started but then stopped after a few mins running. But then when I turn to Service mode, I can manually start the pump without any issue. Any suggestion where I can check to see what the issue is? Could it be a bad capacitor? If it is, it wouldn’t run in manual mode either, right? Where else can I check?

Do you have Screenlogic?

Do you have a schedule set for your POOL to be running?

When put in AUTO the EasyTouch will resume any schedules for that time.

Show us the schedules you have set.

Check the clock is set to the correct time.

No, I don't have ScreenLogic, just the Easy Touch remote that is communicating with EasyTouch outdoor panel. The issue here is although the outdoor panel indicates the pump is running on the screen, it's actually not running. If I change to Service mode, then I can manually go to the pump itself and start from there.

The schedules I have set is simple:
7 am - 9 pm MTWTFSS in various speed

Hope this explains.

Last edited:
When you put the ET in AUTO does the pump display show DISPLAY NOT ACTIVE?

Is this a new pool?

Has it ever worked correctly in AUTO mode?

I think your pump is fine and your ET programming for your pool schedule is off.

Is this a new pool?

Has it ever worked correctly in AUTO mode?

I think your pump is fine and your ET programming for your pool schedule is off.
My pool is almost 10 years old. It has always been working in AUTO until today when I noticed my pump is stop running. I check my pool schedule in ET and everything is correct. I do noticed my pump's clock is 30 mins behind my ET clock. Regardless, my pump should still run by schedule I set because I noticed it's not running this afternoon and I always set the schedule to run from 7 am - 9 pm

NP,

Use your Pentair remote or the little LCD on the EasyTouch and ensure that your pump has speeds assigned to it.

Menu
Settings
IntelliFlo
Pump #1
Make sure the pump type is VS
Speeds.. Make sure that Pool has a speed assigned to it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
NP,

Use your Pentair remote or the little LCD on the EasyTouch and ensure that your pump has speeds assigned to it.

Menu
Settings
IntelliFlo
Pump #1
Make sure the pump type is VS
Speeds.. Make sure that Pool has a speed assigned to it.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yes to all. They are set to pool at 2100 rpm and pool high at 3300 rpm. Everything was normal and I didn’t make any changes whatsoever. My water pump can communicate with ET because I can control it from my remote. Thanks.

I read another thread and my understanding is that if the pump display indicates “Display not Active” when in Auto mode, it means the communicating buss is working properly. Where else can I check?
We did had a severe thunderstorm the night before but I don’t recall we have any power outage and that the pump was still working in the morning…

My water pump can communicate with ET because I can control it from my remote. Thanks.
NP,

What does that mean? Do you have two pumps?

If so, are both pumps IntelliFlo pumps? Or is what you are calling a "water pump" a single speed pump?

IntelliFlo pumps are controlled by an RS-485 com cable that is plugged into the control panel of the IntelliFlo.

If the IntelliFlo does not work when in AUTO, then most likely you have lost the com chip in the pump. If I understand you correctly, you can use your Pentair remote and turn things on and off, like pool lights, or aux relays. If that is true it means that the RS-485 chips on the main card are working, so that only leaves the pump.

I guess it could also be the cable between the pump and the EasyTouch. Maybe an animal chewed into the cable or it has come loose. We have also seen a couple of cases where the pump end of the cable was corroded so badly that the pins were actually gone. So, I would remove the cable and inspect the pins on both sides.

Thanks,

Jim R.

NP,

What does that mean? Do you have two pumps?

If so, are both pumps IntelliFlo pumps? Or is what you are calling a "water pump" a single speed pump?

IntelliFlo pumps are controlled by an RS-485 com cable that is plugged into the control panel of the IntelliFlo.

If the IntelliFlo does not work when in AUTO, then most likely you have lost the com chip in the pump. If I understand you correctly, you can use your Pentair remote and turn things on and off, like pool lights, or aux relays. If that is true it means that the RS-485 chips on the main card are working, so that only leaves the pump.

I guess it could also be the cable between the pump and the EasyTouch. Maybe an animal chewed into the cable or it has come loose. We have also seen a couple of cases where the pump end of the cable was corroded so badly that the pins were actually gone. So, I would remove the cable and inspect the pins on both sides.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yes, we have a separate pump for the waterfall and it’s just a single speed pump if that makes sense. And yes, I can use the remote to turn waterfall, lights, and other features on and off. Ir appears that I can start/stop the pump as well but then nothing happens with the pump.

When you say cable between pump and EasyTouch, do you mean that RS-485 wiring cable? But if there is problem with the cable, then my pump screen wouldn’t display “Display Not Active”, right?

I do want to point out one thing, when I first attempted to troubleshoot the issue, I reset the breaker to the pump, breaker to the ET at least 3-4 times. Then it’s starts to work but then only for like 5 mins then the pump stop running. Loose wire, you think?

Another thing I noticed is when the ET is in Service mode, the pump screen still display “Display Not Active”. Only when I press the Filter Pump in the control panel, then the pump screen becomes active and let me to start/stop the pump. Is it normal behavior? I didn’t really pay attention in the last because I never had the need to run the pump manually.

Last edited:
NP,

Yes the RS-485 cable..

A single speed pump is controlled by an Aux relay and does not use the RS-485 com port.

A VS pump is controlled by the RS-485 cable and is not wired to any Aux relay.

It sometimes takes a minute or two for the "Display not Active" screen to go away when you first go into the Service mode.

In theory, when the pump shows "Display not active" it means the RS-485 is working.. But, the RS-485 has a send and receive operation, and you only need one of them to make the display show "Display not active" but you need both to make the pump work.

How old is the pump? If a newer IntelliFlo VSF, it could have bad F/W.

I'd also look for corrosion at the pump end of the RS-485 cable, just to make sure.

Because you can control everything else using the RS-485 com port, but just not the pump, it sure sounds like it is a pump only failure of some type.

Thanks,

Jim R.

NP,

Yes the RS-485 cable..

A single speed pump is controlled by an Aux relay and does not use the RS-485 com port.

A VS pump is controlled by the RS-485 cable and is not wired to any Aux relay.

It sometimes takes a minute or two for the "Display not Active" screen to go away when you first go into the Service mode.

In theory, when the pump shows "Display not active" it means the RS-485 is working.. But, the RS-485 has a send and receive operation, and you only need one of them to make the display show "Display not active" but you need both to make the pump work.

How old is the pump? If a newer IntelliFlo VSF, it could have bad F/W.

I'd also look for corrosion at the pump end of the RS-485 cable, just to make sure.

Because you can control everything else using the RS-485 com port, but just not the pump, it sure sounds like it is a pump only failure of some type.

Thanks,

Jim R.
The pump is just Intelliflo VS and it’s 8 years old. Our waterfall pump is Whisperflo High Performance Pump. I just checked my VS pump again and guess what? I don’t see the Dislay Not Active anymore when in Auto mode. That means it is lost communication somewhere between the ET and pump? I’m going to check the cable next…

Update - after checking the RS-485 cable, it appeared that is the issue. The cable somehow got loose at the pump end and after plug it back in, everything is back to normal. Thank you so much for helping as I have learned a lot since I raised the question. Hopefully I won’t feel intimidated by those equipments as much.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.