newbie_pool

Oct 30, 2013
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Here is a link to my video so you can hear the grinding sound that it is making. It just started doing this for the last few days. The pump still works. The cleaner runs normally, but it just makes this awful noise. I did some research so far but just want to confirm whether it's a sign of needing new bearing. If yes, is it easy to do so or should I need to replace new pump?

By the way, this pump is 7 years old. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give me.

The pump can be repaired or replaced but you still will have an outdated cleaner system.
If you pay for a new booster pump plus install you are more than halfway to the purchase of a new and more efficient robot.
Just something for you to consider all options for cleaners.

Thanks. So I guess that booster pump is bad and your recommendation is to replace a new booster pump. I would assume I’m going to replace the same Pentair one. What do you mean a new booster pump? Like a different brand?

After spending some time researching, I think I’m going to replace rather trying to rebuild it. Since that is the case, I have a few questions:
1. Is it safe to continue to run the pump while I am waiting for the order to arrive? My cleaner is still running fine, the pump just makes loud grinding sound.
2. I saw there is a complete motor assembly for Pentair Boost-Rite booster pump part. Can I just purchase that? Or do I need to get the whole pump?
Thanks for any guidance on this.

Last edited:
Can you please provide a little more information on the pump? Model would be helpful. Definitely sounds like a motor bearing and you have the option to replace the motor only for a lot less in many cases if you can find a third party motor. If you buy OEM motor it may only be a little less than a new pump. The pump end should last a lot longer. If you go this route replace the pump seal though since it most likely leaked and caused the motor failure.

Is it safe to continue to run? Most likely yes. It will get worse and worse 'till it freezes up and trips the thermal load protection on the motor or trips the breaker. But now would be a good idea to schedule the repair from a service company or buy the parts. Amount of time left is variable but it will happen soon. If it were me I'd keep running for shorter duration, watch the FC closely and get the repair scheduled asap.

I hope this helps.

Chris

I think I finally realized that I’ve been having the pressure side cleaner vs the robotic cleaner. As I did more readings, it seems everyone is recommending to go the robotic route. I have to admit that we have spent quite a bit in fixing our current Pentair pressure side cleaner.

Now I am really lean toward the robotic cleaner. Is it true that we can cut back on the cleaning time when using robotic? Right now we run twice a day for 2 hours regardless time of the year in addition to manual scrubbing occasionally. Can robotic cleaner take care all of time?

Reactions: setsailsoon
I think I finally realized that I’ve been having the pressure side cleaner vs the robotic cleaner. As I did more readings, it seems everyone is recommending to go the robotic route. I have to admit that we have spent quite a bit in fixing our current Pentair pressure side cleaner.

Now I am really lean toward the robotic cleaner. Is it true that we can cut back on the cleaning time when using robotic? Right now we run twice a day for 2 hours regardless time of the year in addition to manual scrubbing occasionally. Can robotic cleaner take care all of time?
Per my original post, I was suggesting rather than continue to put money towards an old technology cleaner system it may be best to make the move to a full electric robot cleaner. My thought is that now it is the motor, then next could be the actual pump, then next is a new cleaner, etc. Now you need to weigh that against the cost of the new robot and also having a proper electrical outlet that is accessible for your hookup. Most will tell you that a robot cleaner is more efficient, plus it may be less cost to run vs. your pressure side booster pump. See the attachment for possible ideas. Actual cleaning times vary based on amount of debris you having falling in your pool.
Marina Pool & Spa provides good prices to TFP members.

Attachments

• Robotic-Cleaner-Comparisons-2020.pdf
    271.9 KB · Views: 41
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.