My opening this week

jimim

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
NE/Pa
I know you guys help me every year but I can’t remember.
1. I run my pump 24/7 at 1500 rpm. If we get freezing nights still do I need to run higher?
2. Chemical balance order. I know to get my chlorine up according to my cya but I’m not worrying about adding cya now right? Since temps r low and chlorine use is low?
3. Get my oh in range for csi to be in range.
4. am I sweating ch and ya levels right now?
5. Salt I’m not worrying about cause cell of off due to temp.

Am I missing anything duecto colder nights still? We aren’t going to be swimming. I’m not using my heater yet. I just want to maintain so water is flowing and pool is clean.
Figured might as well open sincexweather is so good. No nights below 32 over next 14 days and now I’m off for 2 weeks so figured good time to get up and going.
Everyone stay safe out there!
Jimi

• Love
Reactions: thefloatqueen
I know you guys help me every year but I can’t remember.
1. I run my pump 24/7 at 1500 rpm. If we get freezing nights still do I need to run higher?
2. Chemical balance order. I know to get my chlorine up according to my cya but I’m not worrying about adding cya now right? Since temps r low and chlorine use is low?

Am I missing anything duecto colder nights still? We aren’t going to be swimming. I’m not using my heater yet. I just want to maintain so water is flowing and pool is clean.
Figured might as well open sincexweather is so good. No nights below 32 over next 14 days and now I’m off for 2 weeks so figured good time to get up and going.
Everyone stay safe out there!
Jimi
YAY!! Congrats! I’m opening this weekend! If there is a freezing night here n there, just run the pump 24 hours or if you have “freeze control” on your pump (mine does not), let it do it’s thing.

Oh and for your questions, as far as chemical balance order, I would check and balance pH and alkalinity first, personally, because if you put too much chlorine in (I would assume to do a SLAM), the pH test will be inaccurate until your FC drops below 10 ppm (I believe that’s the number!). You don’t need to run your pump any higher than usual. I have a vinyl pool so I cannot comment on CH. I also do not have a saltwater generator so I can’t help there either, sorry! Others will chime in!

If you're pump has freeze control (most do), it'll do its thing. Usually they are set to high speed. But moving water won't freeze so 1500 RPM should be fine. Your "freeze", if you get it, will be right at 32. I am in the same boat. We have maybe 1 day that is scheduled for near 32.

I would start on CYA just make sure your test sample is room temp before testing.

You mean pH? Yes, this is important!

Meh. It's more about CSI. You want to run slightly negative for a plaster pool. Water temp has a big affect on CSI. Just run your numbers through pool math. My CH is always on the very low end of the chart and I have NO issues at all my cell is totally clean.

I also would get salt up to correct levels. This is another sample that needs to be at room temp though.

Keep an eye on chlorine levels. Once your water temp gets to near 60, maintain proper chlorine levels for sure. Turn on the SWG if it will produce.

Reactions: Newdude
We have 2 nights this weekend is 27 at nights. All other nights r 40 and above. Now I’m second guessing. Thing that’s is too cold for those 2 nights in a row?

You're about the same temps as me but maybe 4 degrees colder on average.

It'll dip down to 27 but stay there only a few hours and then is back above. With the pump running there really is no way for water in the lines to lose enough heat to freeze. Your water is probably in the low 50s. The pump freeze protection (or just running it) should protect against any possible freeze. If it was me, however, I'd probably wait until the following weekend.

I just looked at the low temps for me for next weekend. 25 and 30. You are probable colder. Brrr! I'll pull my cover off this week (80s on Friday!) and start cleaning up the water manually but will wait until after this last cold snap to fire up the pump.

Ya we r 70 Friday also. Ok maybe I’ll wait. Sat and sun night is saying 20 and 28 now at night. After that all high 30’s. Maybe I’ll do that tomorrow. Pull back. Throw in some chlorine. Throw the bot in for a few hours and get it cleans up a bit. I’ll call my builder now. He won’t mind I know. I just hope it doesn’t rain all next week now.
Thanks man,
Jimi

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.