my old agp - is she dead?

xfilegirl

Bronze Supporter
Jun 15, 2017
Bellerose/NY
In my previous post I showed the leak coming through the pinhole that I was able to find and repair in the vinyl. The liner definitely needs replacing - no doubt. But my ultimate question is - do I need to replace this whole pool? There are little tiny pin holes all around the pool on the aluminum wall. Looks like this where some of them are totally hollow and see-through, and some are the start of what will eventually be hollow and see-through. This is just one section under the deck by the ladder. But it's like this around the whole pool with some areas worse than others.
20170802_154857.jpg

I've seen posts about people repairing them. And my husband has repaired some over the years with aluminum tape and rustoleum (i think that's what he said, anyway). But more just come. No huge holes...just a bunch of these tiny ones. Given the age of the pool (about 23+ years. 15 of which were before we lived here), am I chancing this thing is gonna burst while my kids are in it? :shock: Is this a sign that it's time to take this out?

This pool has had a long life and it's time for a new one. With that many holes in the whole pool, I'd be concerned with the integrety of the shell.

Yeah, I agree...so i guess we'll dismantle it at the end of this season and find a replacement. My backyard is going to look so empty this fall and winter lol. This might be a dumb question, but should I tarp the area where the old pool was after we remove it? Or is that not necessary? I'm guessing we're going to have to put new sand down over it anyway, but would there be any reason to have it covered until we're ready to have a new one installed?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.