My Northern NJ Anthony Pool Poor Man's Renovation

Jul 19, 2011
Northern NJ
I think my first TFP post was in 2007. We had just moved into our house and our pool was in bad shape.

THIRTEEN years later and it is finally time to do something about it. But not the 'right' way, on the cheap. or maybe cheap it is the right way. I got an estimate for a complete overhaul (removal of concrete deck, full restoration of pool) and that was $68,000 (i think it was actually more). The work i plan on doing (masonry/painting) will be under $15k. We will find out whether this made sense. We don't expect the pool to look perfect when done, just better (and not ridiculously sloppy). the tile/coping work is the lion's share of the cost, and the thing i would like perspective on is whether we stand to have thrown that entire sum out the window if things don't work out as planned.

My immediate challenge/question is regarding the hydrostatic value.

The pool is drained right now to the bottom of the shallow end. One of the pics attached is (i think, the hydrostatic valve).

1. If if is the hydrostatic valuve, What do i do with it? i need to take this off so the pool does not rise up, right? If anyone can direct me to videos or pics i would be grateful. Also if i remove it, should i then replace it when we fill the pool back up?

our renovation plan is currently as follows:

1. Mason comes early next week to replace the tile and the coping (pictured) same guy will replace expansion joints on the deck.

2. Painter comes to paint concrete deck. i have also asked him to paint the pool. HOWEVER, we may need to also acid wash the pool. Now that the water is partly gone, I'm starting to think it might be a good idea to try to get more professional advice about trying to restore the surface of the bottom of the pool.... or at least better understand the risks of not doing much work to the bottom of the pool.

3. The plumbing for the pool works, but one of the returns does not, and this would also be the right time to consider that.. i guess we could tear up part of the concrete deck to replace... and then pour new concrete in that area only.

Any and all feeback welcome, including criticism... but just don't tell me im stupid./reckless, please tell me WHY :) Dieter

Attachments

• IMG_20200507_125647.jpg
    IMG_20200507_125647.jpg
    599.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20200507_125641 (2).jpg
    IMG_20200507_125641 (2).jpg
    732.2 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: Vukota12
We do not recommend painting the pool. Years ago pool paints had very different formulations then today. The EPA has banned the formulations that made pool paint waterproof. Folks who have recently painted their pools have found the paint chalked within a year and clouded the water. AFAIK there is no good pool paint sold now.

Do the coping and tile now and save up for when you can redo the plaster. If the pool is not leaking water then the plaster is just cosmetic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.