Toronto, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Ok so, I joined the forum last year, met a bunch of amazing people and I’m using the TFP test/treat program.

Last year my liner was mismeasured, leaving my tanning ledge full of wrinkles. After some back and forth they did agree to replace it.

Fast forward till this week,

New liner went in May 5th, they rushed it … got me to fill up to the first step but the shallow end floor was all wrinkles. I stopped them from doing the cut-in. Told them to drain it and reposition.

Today, pool is completely filled, wrinkles removed, looks amazing!!

Now for my question on chems.

I have already removed the nature 2 beads (that contain copper/metals.

They came today to “open” the pool, which I already did & applied their startup chemical protocol.

They put in 2 or 3 bags of salt (I got home right after they started. A small container of oxidizer (I think it said) but I got here in time to stop them from putting algaecide.

He asked why, I said a lot of them have copper, he says this one doesn’t but I figured I’d ask. You guys!

I have pool running & heat set to 85°, I should wait 24hrs to test water?

Anything I should get in the water asap? Or just hang tight and see what the test says?

And does anyone know if this algaecide is good to pour in? Or hang tight/don’t use?

Attached photo of old liner wrinkles vs new properly fitting liner.

And a photo of algaecide

Attachments

• A4A8E9A4-7D18-4EFD-B0FB-0FE7EE52DB74.jpeg
    A4A8E9A4-7D18-4EFD-B0FB-0FE7EE52DB74.jpeg
    328.6 KB · Views: 93
  • ED596E1D-8139-443E-A864-129D62438793.jpeg
    ED596E1D-8139-443E-A864-129D62438793.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 7CBA9121-7C42-4FA4-B04C-269122CD8CEB.jpeg
    7CBA9121-7C42-4FA4-B04C-269122CD8CEB.jpeg
    412.1 KB · Views: 87
I think that one is okay (Poly 40) as opposed to Poly 60. But for new water, just remember the basics to get started:
1 - New water has no CYA (stabilizer). So if no one added any yet, you'll need it. We recommend 70 minimum for a salt pool, but its still cool up there so you might start with a CYA of 50-60. You can always add more later.
2 - Add 3 ppm of liquid chlorine today. Tomorrow forward, keep the FC balanced to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.
3 - Remember you can not turn on the SWG until the salt has had at least 24 hrs to mix and acclimate to the water. Water temp should be at least 60 degree.
4 - Adjust pH if needed; anywhere from 7.2-7.8 is fine for now.

We can fine-tune other numbers later. Don't count on any reliable testing until the water has had a couples hours to mix, then you should be okay. Hope that helps.

Reactions: DieselBeast
I think that one is okay (Poly 40) as opposed to Poly 60. But for new water, just remember the basics to get started:
1 - New water has no CYA (stabilizer). So if no one added any yet, you'll need it. We recommend 70 minimum for a salt pool, but its still cool up there so you might start with a CYA of 50-60. You can always add more later.
2 - Add 3 ppm of liquid chlorine today. Tomorrow forward, keep the FC balanced to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.
3 - Remember you can not turn on the SWG until the salt has had at least 24 hrs to mix and acclimate to the water. Water temp should be at least 60 degree.

We can fine-tune other numbers later. Don't count on any reliable testing until the water has had a couples hours to mix, then you should be okay. Hope that helps.

Texas!! Thank you !! I’m glad to be back up and running!! Nice to see a friendly face!

Ok will do, I don’t think they put any stabilizer, just oxidizer and salt (I believe).

I’ll chuck the algaecide in then ?

And they turned the SWG “on” in auto mode. Should I disable that ?

Pool water currently 60° and rising.

Also, how do I calculate 3ppm ? Divide litres (gallons into 1 mill) times by 3 ?

Do you use our PoolMath APP? I believe you have options for measurement in there. I can tell you that in a 12K pool, it takes about 46 ounces of 10% liquid chlorine to increase the FC by 3 ppm.
I do use it!! I’m just not sure how to find that conversion… I’ll be able to figure out from your numbers there though !! Thank you !!

Will I hurt the SWG if I turn it on “auto” now? I don’t think it will generate until it gets to temp.

And you think I’m good to throw the jug of 40 in ?

I would leave the SWG off until the salt has had at least 24 hrs to mix. The water will be fine with a little liquid chlorine or bleach for now. But be sure to get the stabilizer started as well. Use the sock-soaking method to help dissolve the granule stabilizer. If you have any questions about that let us know.

I just wanted to say, good job keeping them from messing things up. Can't believe they were going to continue filling with the wrinkles in that pic, when they were there to reinstall because of wrinkles in the first place!

I just wanted to say, good job keeping them from messing things up. Can't believe they were going to continue filling with the wrinkles in that pic, when they were there to reinstall because of wrinkles in the first place!

Those wrinkles would have made me crazy! Were they just going to leave it like that?? I would have lost my mind.

I should have clarified, those wrinkles were from last fall when they installed and sales guy said (and I quote) “Doesn’t look out of the ordinary to be honest. You might have to raise your water higher than the wrinkles and keep the heat going for a week or two but those will come out.”

Anyhow, this year it was the floor of the shallow end that was bunched up & the stop step was slid over too much.

Basically they just rushed the liner install. I made them come back, pump out, reposition the new liner (but I’m glad I did).

No one takes pride in their work anymore. Close isn’t good enough when spending 100-200k on a pool.

Reactions: Lanzz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Basically they just rushed the liner install. I made them come back, pump out, reposition the new liner (but I’m glad I did).

No one takes pride in their work anymore. Close isn’t good enough when spending 100-200k on a pool.

Ain't that true! For some reason, at least here, everyone wanted a pool during the height of covid. There are only a few pool places in my town (small), and they were absolutely slammed... but kept taking jobs of course.

I absolutely had to have my liner replaced as I had many leaks I could not find and, it was probably 12-14yr old anyway (I wasn't here then, so I don't know exactly). In addition, I wanted them to paint my coping.
They removed the old liner and repaired the bottom of the pool which needed a lot of work, and then they painted the coping. A few days later, it rained, and I noticed the paint just coming off all over the place. It was ridiculous. I have a ring camera and went back to look and they had just gone straight to spray painting the coping - which is aluminum - they did not clean it, they did not sand it, they did not prime it, and they did get overspray on my concrete. I had to call and tell them what was happening, and then wait almost 3 months before they came out to fix it! Which required sanding everything they did off and using different, non-spray paint and proper primer. They also had to get in the pool, and it was still early Spring, so it was freezing.

It's holding up fine now. But they tried to rush and use the fastest method possible to get out of here...didn't work out for them.
I heard them on my ring camera complaining about all the work they had to do on my pool, that they had to get in it, etc. Well, that was all your fault, wasn't it? :)

Ain't that true! For some reason, at least here, everyone wanted a pool during the height of covid. There are only a few pool places in my town (small), and they were absolutely slammed... but kept taking jobs of course.

I absolutely had to have my liner replaced as I had many leaks I could not find and, it was probably 12-14yr old anyway (I wasn't here then, so I don't know exactly). In addition, I wanted them to paint my coping.
They removed the old liner and repaired the bottom of the pool which needed a lot of work, and then they painted the coping. A few days later, it rained, and I noticed the paint just coming off all over the place. It was ridiculous. I have a ring camera and went back to look and they had just gone straight to spray painting the coping - which is aluminum - they did not clean it, they did not sand it, they did not prime it, and they did get overspray on my concrete. I had to call and tell them what was happening, and then wait almost 3 months before they came out to fix it! Which required sanding everything they did off and using different, non-spray paint and proper primer. They also had to get in the pool, and it was still early Spring, so it was freezing.

It's holding up fine now. But they tried to rush and use the fastest method possible to get out of here...didn't work out for them.
I heard them on my ring camera complaining about all the work they had to do on my pool, that they had to get in it, etc. Well, that was all your fault, wasn't it? :)
Man, what a pain in the you know what !!! But at least you got it all fixed up after the unnecessary pain & suffering.

I basically GC’d the whole job start to finish. I’m pretty sure I shared my experience on my previous posts but it was a royal pain. I babysat the whole time and didn’t accept “no, impossible, can’t be done, etc” although they tried many times to use that to make the job “easier” for them.

During lockdowns here no one could travel which made people use their travel fund to bolster their outdoor / indoor spaces at home so Reno’s / pools /etc were insane.

Luckily I had actually booked mine the fall before covid which means I didn’t get slaughtered on price, but did get delayed from early June to early august.

Anyhow, bleach (chlorine) is in, stabilizer sock is going … will test tomorrow and see where we stand!!

Here’s a photo of the completed pool from last year so you can get a feel for it. Love to see yours!!

Attachments

• 139CF4F2-5688-4D3A-94F8-58141A347B8E.jpeg
    139CF4F2-5688-4D3A-94F8-58141A347B8E.jpeg
    308.7 KB · Views: 30
That's a pretty pool! I do quite like the white liner. That's how mine was when I did ascorbic acid, as my water had a ton of iron in it... it was such a pretty soft blue like yours!
Your pool is much nicer. I think mine is approaching 30 years, or older :)

This was when I first uncovered it...
IMG_0360.jpgIMG_0558.jpg
I was mortified having never had a pool before but TFP helped me IMMENSELY and told me it was no big deal. Lol
IMG_0659 (1).jpg
Slammed it and found out it was iron soup. The water was brown and my liner was orange.
IMG_0816.jpg
For two years, it mostly looked like this. If I did iron treatments, it would be white, but there was just so much iron it wouldn't hold long and it was just too expensive.
IMG_0837.jpg
With treatments...

IMG_6628.jpgIMG_6637.jpgIMG_6639.jpgIMG_8915.jpg

Then the new liner. No more iron, I have no clue where it came from before. :) To their credit, they did a great job with the liner. It was in within 20 minutes, and there isn't a single wrinkle. Would have been a great experience had they not tried to skimp the paint!

That's a pretty pool! I do quite like the white liner. That's how mine was when I did ascorbic acid, as my water had a ton of iron in it... it was such a pretty soft blue like yours!
Your pool is much nicer. I think mine is approaching 30 years, or older :)

This was when I first uncovered it...
View attachment 408886View attachment 408887
I was mortified having never had a pool before but TFP helped me IMMENSELY and told me it was no big deal. Lol
View attachment 408888
Slammed it and found out it was iron soup. The water was brown and my liner was orange.
View attachment 408889
For two years, it mostly looked like this. If I did iron treatments, it would be white, but there was just so much iron it wouldn't hold long and it was just too expensive.
View attachment 408890
With treatments...

View attachment 408891View attachment 408892View attachment 408893View attachment 408894

Then the new liner. No more iron, I have no clue where it came from before. :) To their credit, they did a great job with the liner. It was in within 20 minutes, and there isn't a single wrinkle. Would have been a great experience had they not tried to skimp the paint!
Yeah I have seen some daunting pools, but I have also learned that the crew here at TFP know their stuff!! There really isn’t anything they haven’t experienced.

I love how big yours is & the slide is awesome !! We shoehorned ours in , we have a big front yard but our backyard is an irregular shape so our options were limited.

They did do a heck of a job “refreshing” your pool! Hope you have some amazing swims this season !!!

Welcome Back DB !!!!
Thanks brother!! Glad to be back!’ Was a heck of a winter!! Lol I’m ready to enjoy my pool for an actual whole season!!

I followed Texas advice:
- Bumped PH up a hair (it was 7.0, bumped it to 7.2/7.4 .. I’ll double check tomorrow)
- gave it a jug of bleach to bring her up 3ppm
- gave it a sock full of stabilizer to bring CYA up to approx 60
And heater is set to 85 to help liner stretch into place / give SWG a chance to run.

I need to scrub all the foot prints / such off the floor, maybe tomorrow and a vacuum!

How you doing?

Reactions: newdude
I would leave the SWG off until the salt has had at least 24 hrs to mix. The water will be fine with a little liquid chlorine or bleach for now. But be sure to get the stabilizer started as well. Use the sock-soaking method to help dissolve the granule stabilizer. If you have any questions about that let us know.
Ok TFP fam!

Here’s today’s test results:

FC 1.5
CC 0
TA 90
CYA 55
PH 7.2
CH 80
SALT 2400 ppm according to SWG
Pool company added 2 bags 20kg (44lb) per bag.

I think I need to add another bag?
I also think in general it all looks good but FC is low. I have heater on, she’s up to 83°.

I’m guessing the bleach I added had maybe been an old batch so my guess is:
-Add another jug of bleach
-add another bag of salt
-bump SWG up from 10% to maybe 15-20%

Thoughts? (Ps its been cycling for about 20 hrs with heater on)

Those numbers look fairly good to start except for the FC - it's too low. I would add some liquid chlorine right away and get the FC level up to the 5-6 range. Never let it drops below 3 ppm. If your SWG is on now, you'll need to adjust SWG output % and/or pump run time to achieve a steady flow of FC production. But until you get to that point, have some liquid chlorine available. FYI - Consider your CYA 60 as we typically round it up.

Those numbers look fairly good to start except for the FC - it's too low. I would add some liquid chlorine right away and get the FC level up to the 5-6 range. Never let it drops below 3 ppm. If your SWG is on now, you'll need to adjust SWG output % and/or pump run time to achieve a steady flow of FC production. But until you get to that point, have some liquid chlorine available. FYI - Consider your CYA 60 as we typically round it up.
Fantastic!! Thanks man!!

Add salt? Or hang tight at 2400 ? (I have 3 extra bags 44lb each)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.