MY GUNITE KEEPS WEEPING. I KNOW IT'S A COMMON ISSUE BUT MY BUILDER WANTS TO WAIT IT OUT. HELP!!!

DROC85

Jun 1, 2020
NORTH TEXAS
I STARTED BUILDING MY POOL 1/28/20 WITH HOPES OF HAVING IT READY FOR SUMMER. SUMMER IS HERE WE STILL ARE NOT PLASTERED. THE GUNITE KEEPS LEAKING FROM A FEW SPOTS. THE ONLY THING THE BUILDER HAS SAID IS THAT IT TAKES TIME FOR IT TO DRY UP. WE HAVE HALOGEN LAMPS RUNNING AROUND THE CLOCK FOR THE LAST 10 DAYS AT MY EXPENSE HOPING TO SPEED UP THE DRYING. PLASTER IS SCHEDULED AS A MAYBE FOR WED HOWEVER THERE IS A 40% CHANCE OF RAIN TOMORROW. ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS? THANKS

DAVID

David,

A good plaster company will not plaster a pool if it is weeping too badly..

I had the same basic problem and it caused about a 3 month delay as the pool company tried every trick in the book to fix the problem.

In my case, the pool was in the middle of a little underground spring. Eventually, the pool company realized that you can't stop water, you must give it a place to go. They had to remove decking on two sides of the pool and install 18" wide, 6' deep french drains to collect the water and funnel it into a 8 foot deep pit with a sump pump to move the water away from the pool.. Water flows into the pump even in the middle of the summer's hottest day. In my case the pool would have never "dried up".

Ground water 1.JPGGround water 2.JPGGround water 3.JPG

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
CROSSING FINGERS WE WILL HAVE PLASTER THIS SATURDAY. 12 DAYS OF NO RAIN AND HEAT LAMPS RUNNING AROUND THE CLOCK(AT MY EXPENSE) HOPEFULLY WILL DO THE TRICK. I HAVE SUGGESTED DIGGING THE TRENCH IN NEAR THE TROUBLE AREA AND INSTALLING A PUMP BUT RIVERBEND DOES NOT THINK WE ARE ANYWHERE NEAR THAT. IVE GOT 3 FRENCH DRAINS ON MY PROPERTY BUT THE PROBLEM IS I LIVE AT THE END OF A RETAINING WALL ON THE SLOPE. SO WATER NATURALLY WILL COME MY WAY. UNFORTUNATELY THE GRADING IS TERRIBLE IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD AND MOST OF MY NEIGHBORS DO NOT HAVE FRENCH DRAINS INSTALLED. SINCE MOST BUILDERS THERE WON'T INSTALL AT THE TIME OF THE BUILD PEOPLE HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL THE 1 YEAR WARRANTY PERIOD KICKS IN AND THERE HAS TO BE STANDING WATER FOR IT TO MERIT AN INSTALL ON THE BUILDERS DIME. FROM NOW UNTIL SATURDAY I WAS THINKING OF BLOW TORCHING SOME OF THE TROUBLE AREAS, HAS ANYONE TRIED THAT?

Hi, welcome to TFP :wave:

Please refrain from typing in ALL CAPS. It makes reading your posts extremely difficult.

The builder should have done something to manage the ground water from the beginning.

At what depth did they first hit water when they started digging the hole?

Besides weeping, the pool can float if the ground water is high enough.

Great question but truthfully, I do not have the answer to that. I will ask the builder. I thought from beginning that the drainage in my yard combined with the retaining wall would be cause for concern and here we are concerned. Hopefully plaster occurs this Saturday.

Reactions: Emyers74

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can have issues with the plaster if the walls are weeping because the plaster can get too wet where the weeping is occurring.

In my opinion, something should be done to manage the ground water.

Reactions: Emyers74
Do you have pictures? While we had a very rainy spring, its has been 85-90+ for the last week with no rain. It seems like there could be something else going on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.