Silver Supporter
Mar 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Up until now I have been using strips which have kept me in a safe range. Of course I wanted more accuracy so I ran a test with the TF-100 today.

Free Chlorine 1
Chloramines 0
Total Chlorine 1
Calcium Hardness 475
CYA 50
pH 7.5
Alkalinity 70
Water temperature 68 degrees F

According to pool math I need to put in just over a gallon of 8.25% bleach to get up to a Chlorine level of 4. Is that a good number for my pool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thank you. It looks like I need roughly 2.75 gallons of 8.25% bleach to get my FC up to 8.

With a water temp of 68 degrees we are still a couple of weeks away from opening the pool. I'll bring it up to 8 tomorrow and retest Friday to see how much the pool is using per day.

Ok thank you. It looks like I need roughly 2.75 gallons of 8.25% bleach to get my FC up to 8.

With a water temp of 68 degrees we are still a couple of weeks away from opening the pool. I'll bring it up to 8 tomorrow and retest Friday to see how much the pool is using per day.

What does the water look like?

It's very clear. I've been getting some dirt blown in to the pool lately because we're doing a remodel on the house. The trees tend to drop some leaves in to the pool as well. Basically if I dump the skimmer out every three to four days it's enough to fill a small soda bottle.

I added half a gallon of 8.25% bleach today.

Here we are a year later. The pool was using an abnormal amount of bleach and of course I was being lazy about my testing. After a full test it turns out the dilution due to rain and evaporation brought my CYA down to below 20. After adding 3.5 pounds of stabilizer here's where I'm at.

3 Total Chlorine
7.4 pH
120 Total Alkalinity
400 Calcium Hardness
35 CYA
81 Temperature

We have hard water here so there's not much I can do about the CH. Should I add acid of some sort to bring my alkalinity down to the recommended level of 50 to 90? What kind of acid should I add? Out of curiosity why is high alkalinity bad?

I'm using 10% bleach and will be adding another gallon.

Higher TA will push your pH higher quicker. So no need to focus on the TA. When your pH reaches 7.8, add muriatic acid to take it down to 7.4 or so and your TA will be controlled. Your fill water is most likely high in TA.

You should monitor CSI Pool School - Calcium Saturation Index (CSI)). PoolMath calculates it for you.

It is not viable to measure a CYA of 35. The scale is logarithmic. So use 40 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.