My experience with Ahh-some

2ppm over 13.5 hours may be fine for chlorine. Do have ozone?

I have a purge coming up so I'll test this as well in s couple of weeks or so. The chlorine bromine comparison will be very interesting. We know that ozone eats chlorine ...

2ppm over 13.5 hours may be fine for chlorine. Do have ozone?

I have a purge coming up so I'll test this as well in s couple of weeks or so. The chlorine bromine comparison will be very interesting. We know that ozone eats chlorine ...

No, No Ozone. I'm not sure there is a problem however I'm just trying to gauge and gain a better understanding of what is normal.
I was hoping after an Ahh-Some purge I wouldn't have issues and maybe I'm not I'm just not sure. Maybe I should have purged more than once however I really didn't get that much the first time around. By the way I have read all of your documentation on doing the different purges and it was really interesting. Thanks so much for putting all that together. If I had known what I know now when I bought a hot tub I would have went with one that has SWCG on it.

Much appreciated I regret that I haven't studied chlorine decay but since I can't turn off my ozone generator my data will be colored by that influence. Ozone with bromine is fantastic.

I'm convinced that too many spa owners simply cover up a biofilm problem by adding sanitizer so they really are blind to its presence and haven't characterized their own spas decay rate. Really good to see the level of activity here and interest in real data.

I think that's a real good point about the decay of 2ppm. Whether my starting ppm was 12 or 5 if I am only dropping by 2ppm per day that seems like a pretty healthy tub. Even though I would have a much lower CD with the 12 starting point than the 5. Also a good point about trying to base the numbers off of a nominal value that you would want to have your spa at anyway. Other than shocking I obviously wouldn't want to keep my sanitizer at 10 all the time. Thanks for the input on this stuff.

Ok so this is really weird ..... Maybe I messed something up this morning when I was half asleep and taking the FC levels. I got home this evening and measured the FC and it was 7...... I thought that really odd I ended up rinsing everything retaking the measurement and was still a solid seven. Not sure if I miscounted the drops this AM?

It's possible. I've had a similar experience and in this situation I throw out the most uncertain measurement. In this case you still have 2 ish ppm over 24 hours. I have also seen some nonlinear behavior where I was expecting a drop and measured none. I don't know how to explain it other than measurement error. Or maybe the loss in one 12 hour period really is different due to external factors!

Update on cl decay. I'll post a new thread to start a discussion on decay rate but I have some interesting preliminary data.

I just purged with ahhsome and have not used the spa so I'm confident in no biofilms . As is my protocol, I run my spa dosed with ahhsome with FILTERS INSTALLED , releasing no new material. Then I drain and refill

Having proved a clean spa i set out to measure no load chlorine decay in brand new water. I have a good strong ozone generator and my water is balanced, heated and the spa is covered .

I'm getting 40% decay from 4 to 2.4ppm, over 24 hours. Yes i can measure that accurately.

40% is high but explained by the ozone, which chows down on chlorine. Also note that cya is low because only a small amount of dichlor has been used. Sun is not a factor

So with those strikes against me the data suggest that 40% decay in a spa without ozone is too high and
Indicates abnormal consumption . Thoughts?

Not sure if it is being taken into account or not, but I personally experience a higher rate of loss than usual for about a week after purging with awesome, assuming it is due to any trace amounts of the product left in the plumbing being oxidized. I believe I have read others experience this also

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes that is the case indeed. I had considerably higher decay rates upwards of 60 or 70 percent at first. I burned off the residual with shock chlorine levels. The above measurements are after about 1 week

Thank you for sharing your 1 week results that is fascinating to have found similar results

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.