My chlorine level is 2-3 all the time. How do I shock without levels going too high?

Hi,
My chlorine level is staying 1-3 all the time.
When I last shocked my pool with bags of chlorine, the level went above 5 and stayed high for a few days.

Since my chlorine level is already fine, am I supposed to just use the oxidizing (non-chlorine) shock? Or am I still supposed to use chlorine to shock, even if the levels go to high to swim in?

Thanks!
Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
What is your CYA? That determines if your FC level is "already fine" according to the FC/CYA Levels.
It is safe to swim at MUCH higher FC levels than I think you are currently aware. Swimming is fine up to the SLAM level FC listed in that table above based on your CYA.

Check out these videos:

Reactions: Oly
May I ask why you're adding the bags of shock in the first place? If you are properly maintaining your pool between 1-3 and the water is clear, you should not need to shock your pool.

If your being told to shock it by the pool store, get your own good test kit and some chlorine bleach and you'll never need to buy a bag-a-shock ever again.

Reactions: Chickinvic
Hi all.
My recent CYA was "in the range" and free chlorine was 2.
Yes, I was told that I need to "shock" as the name implies periodically to give extra sanitizing power to the pool.
Thanks!
(also, wondering why I am not getting email alerts, even though I have it set to notify me from this forum...)

I'm going to assume you're using test strips.

Sorry, those are woefully inaccurate. You need a proper test kit, see: Test Kits Compared. Throw the strips out. I promise good things once you have a proper test kit. Pool store results are never as good as your own. They care about your pool far less than you do.

We don't "shock" at TFP. You will need to follow the SLAM Process.

Did you review the videos and Pool School?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.