My bio active experiment

Iso it possible for CYA to mask bleach and as the cya gets eaten it releases the bleach to become FC. I just do the think 1 gallon of bleach would raise FC that much. Any thoughts?
Simple answer.........no. Your increase was due to the addition of bleach. Each gallon you've added increased your FC level by about 5ppm however it sounds like it was consumed by algae. The sign of a "not the clearest" water points to an outbreak is starting. Had your water been properly maintained it's very likely your FC level would be MUCH higher at this point. The fact that it's stayed consistent over the "test" yet now increased means your likely making some unseen progress in clearing up the water.

I know they can be inaccurate but the jump was across the board and their numbers on FC have stayed consistent through this. So do I think bio active works.
I've watched this product very closely over the last year or so with great interest. Time and time again the users who reported a "success" all had one thing in common.......poor testing practices. Relaying on test strips or pool store results to give you accurate results has proven itself to be a poor practice multiple times over the years. Your reduction in CYA (if you've seen any) is due to inaccurate test results providing false results. There may have been a small reduction however dollar for dollar the best practice that's proven itself over the years has been a drain/refill.

I do agree with you on the stuff not doing much if anything but I know my pool and 1 gallon of bleach has never raised my FC this much.I will definitely say that if you need to drop cya significantly thend I think the best thing would probly be drain and fill. I can't speak for those that have cya that is only slightly elevated
Simple answer.........no. Your increase was due to the addition of bleach. Each gallon you've added increased your FC level by about 5ppm however it sounds like it was consumed by algae. The sign of a "not the clearest" water points to an outbreak is starting. Had your water been properly maintained it's very likely your FC level would be MUCH higher at this point. The fact that it's stayed consistent over the "test" yet now increased means your likely making some unseen progress in clearing up the water.

I've watched this product very closely over the last year or so with great interest. Time and time again the users who reported a "success" all had one thing in common.......poor testing practices. Relaying on test strips or pool store results to give you accurate results has proven itself to be a poor practice multiple times over the years. Your reduction in CYA (if you've seen any) is due to inaccurate test results providing false results. There may have been a small reduction however dollar for dollar the best practice that's proven itself over the years has been a drain/refill.

The HTC 5 way kit does provide accurate CYA, CH, TA, pH readings. It also shows accurate FC levels up to 5ppm. The reason we don't suggest this kit is simply because of its size plus the lack of the FAS/DPD test. It only provides enough reagents to test the CYA two or three times before refills are needed. Accuracy is there, practicality is lacking.

For some reason, likely my own foreclosure swamp from way back, I'd thought the actual conversion process required virtually anaerobic conditions -- I think I recall ChemGeek positing this factor.

With the propensity of winter-covered-conversion of cya, this would make sense...the difference of covering, having pump off, having debris layer, zeroing out on FC would likely mean there were pockets where oxygen was depleted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.