My $25 auto chlorinator DIY project

I am glad I found this. I used to use two timers (one flipped the direction relay) like the ones in the beginning of the thread to operate the automatic door on the chicken coop I had when I still lived on the farm in Iowa. Worked great. But as far as the pump goes, even if you replaced it annually you would take ten years to match the price of a Stenner pump, which itself probably would not last those ten years.

But to dose on a vacation, honestly as a portable system, I don't know why everyone isn't doing this. Store it in a garage or shed when not in use.

5 days of testing complete. I set up my timer to dose 1/2 gallon daily, that would keep me at the high end of my chlorine requirement. I added 3 gallons to my 7 gallon tank and started the test. The system has applied chlorine for 5 days, I have 12 cups remaining. Gotta say I'm pretty happy with that ! I'm using a Woods 50015 timer, adjustable to the minute. I dug a hole under my potting bench to hold the tank, it's in the shade all day so I'm doing the best possible to keep the chlorine cool. This is my "going camping for 14 days" solution. A temporary fix, I see something in the future for a full time setup.IMG_1089.jpgIMG_1088.jpg

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus
I bought a cheap peristaltic pump instead for mine. And a 12v wall wart. Less than the fish tank pump. But for 20 bucks I think I will also have a weekender when I get my pool done, whenever that will be.

If I hate the cheap pump I can buy a better one. Fun project.

I was thinking of a peristalic pump but decided on the "proven " pump used by original poster. I thought I had a irrigation timer in the shed but could not locate it, had I found it I probably would have got a peristalic and driven it thru the timer, that would have been a cleaner way of accomplishing the task.
So, Fred--- which P pump did you purchase and have you tested it in any way ?

Just the cheap $10 one from Amazon. I have run a little water through it and it does work. The power adapter was also $10. If I can get away with it I will use PVC tube of the same size because I am reading mixed messages about silicone tubing and Bleach.

I still am probably two months away from completion of the pool, so I am just playing with this at the present time. What is nice about the peristaltic pump is no check valve is required to stop a siphon. If the pump craps out the ones in the $25 range seem a lot more substantial. I would have done the diaphragm pump but the cheapest I could find it for was $35.

Reactions: TBSNPS
Yeah but then it would be a $35 project, eh? :) I am aware of Tygon and it might be a good idea to use something like it anyway.

My father actually built a gyrocopter from scratch (experimental) in the late 1960's. I have medical issues that made it difficult for me to become a private pilot but I always have regretted not becoming a private pilot anyway.

Reactions: TBSNPS

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I returned from 14 days camping and found the outlet line had slipped off the pump !!! The tube was somewhat swollen and kind of hard. I guess the chlorine and tube had an issue. My storage tank was dry and it was clear the chlorine was being pumped onto the ground. Anyway, I need to find compatible tube material.And use some sort of mechanical way to keep the tube in place. On the bright side , upon returning the pool was clear, yet the FC was .5, so the problem only festered for a day or 2. I had a small puff of algae around the bottom drain when brushed. I added CL to 7 and things are in check. Pool looks great but I think I will do a SLAM as soon as the ambient temp lowers below 100 F.

Glad to see other guys trying this too. I still use this setup but only get a season out of the pump now, but that is fine I just buy another one. Still cheaper than buying a stenner pump.

I'm wondering if it's possible to have the pump pull from two reservoirs: 1 of water and 1 of chlorine. This would dilute the chlorine going through the pump and increase its lifespan?

I'm wondering if it's possible to have the pump pull from two reservoirs: 1 of water and 1 of chlorine. This would dilute the chlorine going through the pump and increase its lifespan?
Really stupid question here: Why not just dilute the bleach if you are going to do that and pump from one place? Bleach will actually "live longer" in more dilute concentrations.

I think I am going to pursue one of these cheap DIY solutions as I'm in need of a reliable solution for vacations & such and would love to have a bit of automation throughout the year! Thanks to those that have posted details on their setups! Any advice as I begin is much appreciated!

-Garry

Instead of using the water supply line that you can get at the hardware store, look into using the black one made for Stenner pumps. It will put up with UV a lot better.

First...Thank you to the OP for the idea!

I used a 5.2 gal bottle and a peristaltic pump housed in a yard storage container. The container is dark and double walled (and sits mostly in the shade) so it keeps the chlorine cool--and out of my garage. Also using the WEMO wifi timer plug for control...but. It can only be set in one minute increments. I am searching for a similar device that can be set in finer increments, and if so, may expand this idea to include acid to lower ph too. To get the chlorine into the pool, I used a port on the old tab dispenser system. It hadnt been used in years from what I can tell, and made a perfect way to get into the plumbing. Just leave it at full 'on' and the water circulates inside and takes the liquid chlorine poolside with it. To keep the water pressure at bay, I added a one way valve at the injection point..and also on the storage tank to keep fumes to a minimum. Lastly, then covered the exposed hose with pipe insulating for good measure.

All told, this one may be just a little over the original $25 budget at about $85--not including the yard container. But it works Great! It will pump about 13 ounces per minute, so the timer is set for 3 minutes to run at 9pm every night. This adds 39oz, or 2.5 ppm, chlorine daily which closely matches this pools daily burn rate. I can add more manually From My Phone if it is needed! (really like that part!!!) I also have a WaterGuru that is set to sample in the morning, just before sunrise. Between the two I can deduce the pool health daily while having coffee and the newspaper.

Now...if only i can find a more accurate timer. Muri...I'm coming for ya. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210723_164252.jpg
    IMG_20210723_164252.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20210723_180140.jpg
    IMG_20210723_180140.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210724_094526.jpg
    IMG_20210724_094526.jpg
    566.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20210724_094557.jpg
    IMG_20210724_094557.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210724_094613.jpg
    IMG_20210724_094613.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20210724_094854.jpg
    IMG_20210724_094854.jpg
    669.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20210724_100911.jpg
    IMG_20210724_100911.jpg
    552.6 KB · Views: 24
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.