My 1st test. Now what

nebtex

Aug 4, 2016
Midlothian TX
21,000 gal pool
Tablet Feeder
1st time pool owner, 1st time tester. Bit freaked out

Did my 1st test with the TFP test kit. Pool has been taken care of by install contract until last week.
My numbers are below. 1st time so hopefully correct
FC - 1
PH - 7.8
TA - 110
CYA - 30
CH - 300
CSI - says .05
Water Temp - 53

Now that I have these and they all look to be in correct range. What do I do. Tablet feeder is empty. Do I still put tablets in do I need to add anything else?

HELP!!

Good job on the test results!
Add some liquid chlorine to get the FC to 3 ppm. The tablets will not dissolve very readily in the cold water.

In your area, if you are going to stay with liquid chlorine this summer, you will want to limit your CYA to 40 or 50 ppm. So be aware of that if you continue to use the tablets.

Definitely find a good source for liquid chlorine (aka regular bleach - the plain stuff) - same thing. I go to Home Depot and grab the 3-per case thing, but you may have other sources in your area a bit outside of DFW. At your convenience, I would also add to your signature the test kit (i.t. TF-100) and surface of your pool (i.e. plaster). Good testing, welcome to TFP! :wave:

Definitely find a good source for liquid chlorine (aka regular bleach - the plain stuff) - same thing. I go to Home Depot and grab the 3-per case thing, but you may have other sources in your area a bit outside of DFW. At your convenience, I would also add to your signature the test kit (i.t. TF-100) and surface of your pool (i.e. plaster). Good testing, welcome to TFP! :wave:

I can find the HDX Chlorinating Liquid. It says 'shock' but guessing that's the same. 10% so when i did the math on the App it came out with adding 1/2 gallon.

Seems simple and I feel I may be overthinking this thing.

Also do I need to worry about the PH level at 7.8. Should I be adding acid to drop that?

Seems simple and I feel I may be overthinking this thing.
Nope,, you got it. :goodjob: I use the same 10% stuff in my 18K pool. As for the pH, if your water is still chilly like mine, a pH of 7.8 is fine. Don't both until it creeps up to about 8.0 or so, then bring it down back to 7.6-7.8.

how long would you say this is good for?
In the peak of summer, I use about 1/2 per day in my 18K pool (CYA between 50-60) - full TX sun all day. In the cooler months like now, a 1/2 gallon will go several days.

Last edited:
Reactions: xford66
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.